• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which vapochill?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

liftedcj7on44s

well guys i am thinking about getting into a phase change setup but i have some questions. Is this a reliable setup that i can run 24/7 and what must be done to the cpu to protect it from moisture? I am thinking about getting a vapochill setup and was wondering about which one is the best. i am getting a 2nd 7800gt soon and i want the setup to run the cpu and both video cards. what should i do?

hmm guess i will have to keep an eye on it as this would make 3 ocz components in my rig. too bad they dont make motherboards and processors and all the rest of the pc crap.lol. ummm yeah i got a OCZ Pwned 6400+@10,000mhz.lmao.lol at stock setting just turning the power on would corrupt windows,haha lol that would be sick

liftedcj7on44s said:
Is this a reliable setup that i can run 24/7 and what must be done to the cpu to protect it from moisture?

You can run a Vapochill for 24/7, pretty reliable units.

For protection, you need insulation to protect from corrosion / a short from the moisture (You need neophrene, die electric grease for the socket, and some seal string around the socket owuldn't hurt. Here was my old insulation job, damn good if you ask me ;).
Picture180.jpg
Picture182.jpg
Picture187.jpg
liftedcj7on44s said:
I am thinking about getting a vapochill setup and was wondering about which one is the best. i am getting a 2nd 7800gt soon and i want the setup to run the cpu and both video cards. what should i do?

Im affraid it wont be possible cooling 3 heat sources on a single stage, the power of the compressor couldn't handle that much heat load. The Mach 2 GT has 2 evap hoses, which you can put on 1 CPU / 1 GPU with o.k temps. You might consiter WCing your videosetup and going all out on your CPU (Vapo LS / get it modded for better temps). Just my opinion.

ok thanks for the info. I have a extra 500watt psu here what could i run off that as far as if i put a tec on the video card. i got alot to learn about vapochill because i need to see what all is required to insulate the cpu and the board.

Does the new Asetek Vapochill XE II come with all the insulation required to run it? What other purchases are neccessary to get it going?

i run my vapochill LS 24/7.....everything came with it all insulation and everything....actually i take that back. I did have to buy a tube of dielectric grease cause i heard not to use the white stuff they supply but otherthan that they sent me all i needed and its been running solid for months.

best purchase ever.....

The Vapochill Ls is the only vapo worth buying.

The SE/XE etc are all based on tiny compressors that will not give you sub zero temps on any modern CPU. They do however work great as GPU coolers.

Even the LS in standard form pulls hard, a Danfoss NL11f compressor upgrade will make an extremely nice unit out of any LS.

The mounting kit of the vapo is nice and they provide everything needed for a good mount

JohannM said:
The Vapochill Ls is the only vapo worth buying.

The SE/XE etc are all based on tiny compressors that will not give you sub zero temps on any modern CPU. They do however work great as GPU coolers.

Even the LS in standard form pulls hard, a Danfoss NL11f compressor upgrade will make an extremely nice unit out of any LS.

The mounting kit of the vapo is nice and they provide everything needed for a good mount

I'm using an XE II- My temps stay below Zero on an Oc'ed 3700 San Diego.

thanks for all the info guys. I have a question though. my dad does alot of heating and air work. And it seems like a phase change system is nothing more than a bunch of A/C parts. is there some sort of diagram that i can give my dad and say here build that? He has alot of spare parts so it shouldnt be a problem

btw.. If your dad doesn't have any experiance working on cascades (some HAVC guys work on them) try not to get him to work on that first.. (they can be extreamly dangerious, more so then single stage AC units)

ok thanks for the info guys i almost forgot this post. im pretty sure he knows all that stuff. he owns his own branch of bryant heating and cooling. So i am going to email him some info and see what he can do.

liftedcj7on44s said:
ok thanks for the info guys i almost forgot this post. im pretty sure he knows all that stuff. he owns his own branch of bryant heating and cooling. So i am going to email him some info and see what he can do.

he may need to order the condensor coil compressor and evap head as those arent readily available in a traditional hvac shop that services residental and light commercial applications. other than that he should have pretty much everything hed need on hand. one of the biggests costs for people getting into phase diy is the cost of the gauges vacuum pump refrigerants and all the soldering supplies (which he should already have in abundance)

kinda off topic but my dad used to own a bryant/lennox dealership where i ran service calls for him from 18-23 then worked part time off and on. i used to hate working there but it was a good thing because i have my universal refrigeration license.

osiris999 said:
ever looked into the new ocz one?

at this point no such item exists. its all in its design stage still, they havnt finalized anything. or even given any specs on it since its not finished like i just said.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
Im affraid it wont be possible cooling 3 heat sources on a single stage, the power of the compressor couldn't handle that much heat load. The Mach 2 GT has 2 evap hoses, which you can put on 1 CPU / 1 GPU with o.k temps. You might consiter WCing your videosetup and going all out on your CPU (Vapo LS / get it modded for better temps). Just my opinion.

actually, if you get the right sized compressor you can certainly cool 2 vidcards and the cpu on a single stage

thats cool. yeah hes the best in our area. i think he should be able to do what i want to do, hes got plenty of sheetmetal so we can make a nice box for it as well. would a cheapy 500watt powersupply be enough to run a phase cooler? It ran the system in my sig no problems and its not being used so i either need to junk it or use it.

liftedcj7on44s said:
thats cool. yeah hes the best in our area. i think he should be able to do what i want to do, hes got plenty of sheetmetal so we can make a nice box for it as well. would a cheapy 500watt powersupply be enough to run a phase cooler? It ran the system in my sig no problems and its not being used so i either need to junk it or use it.

most of the phase change systems power would be direct AC current...

but a PSU could be used to power a controller, or any 12V fans he might use in the build.. but Im pretty sure he would know what he needs to power the parts he uses.. :D

Back