• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which way does the CPU fan point?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FISHMANPET

I recently took my CPU fan off to clean it, and I think I may have reinstalled it backwards. I've got an Athlon 1Ghz, with a heatsink and a fan. Should the fan be blowing on the CPU or away? Right now it's blowing on the CPU.

Lusankya said:
btw.. fans have a little arrow near where the wires go in that shows airflow direction

Some fans don't have the arrows, but it's good idea to check anyways. You could save yourself a bit of a headache trying to figure out which side is which.

It can depend. Personally, I'd try it both ways, sucking and blowing, to see which has the best effect.......stick with the way that gives you the best cooling. On an un-ducted case, I found sucking more effective, but on a ducted case, blowing was superior.

reddeathdrinker said:
It can depend. Personally, I'd try it both ways, sucking and blowing, to see which has the best effect.......stick with the way that gives you the best cooling. On an un-ducted case, I found sucking more effective, but on a ducted case, blowing was superior.

Trouble with your description is that without a point of reference (which direction you looking as you speak) sucking could mean sucking in from the case or off of the heatsink (same w/ blowing):(
Or am I just being thick today?

DWolf:cool:

Back