• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which windows 7 uprade should i get.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YAMA187

im going to make the jump from xp to a windows 64 bit os. but im not sure which one is the one i need.

this one is a upgrade from an old windows to a 7. but i heard that i need to re-instale xp again before i do this. is this true?? because my restore disk doesnt work. or do i just pop this in and it should be fine?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116713&name=Operating-Systems

or do i need to get a OEM version??

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986&name=Operating-Systems

or do i have to go with the $179 one. cause i really dont want to have to do that.

or do i get 8 lol. jk

I would just go with the OEM version so you can do a clean install and save ten bucks.

The OEM version will be good. Never do the upgrade option, it rarely works well over the long run.

Win 7 pro gives better networking options, especially backup and restore over LAN.

If you have access to a e-mail account ending in .edu you can get the full Win 7 Pro 64 bit for $64.95 directly from Microsoft via download. Just google search 'windows 7 student discount'. Supposedly these are upgrade versions, but I have installed these on completely new hardware, no problem.

if you do go that route, you can only purchase one copy each of the 64 bit and 32 bit versions, however the 32bit key will activate a 64bit installation, no problems

The only caveat is that the OEM license is good only for one PC, you can reinstall OEM to that same PC as many times as you want, but cannot LEGALLY move it to another PC, which comes in to play when your old motherboard dies and you install a new one, MS considers that a new PC. However, if you do uninstall OEM from the original PC and install it on a different one you will fail activation, but can call microsoft, fib a little about which parts you upgraded and they will reactivate that key.

Last edited:
The OEM version will be good. Never do the upgrade option, it rarely works well over the long run.

Win 7 pro gives better networking options, especially backup and restore over LAN.

If you have access to a e-mail account ending in .edu you can get the full Win 7 Pro 64 bit for $64.95 directly from Microsoft via download. Just google search 'windows 7 student discount'. Supposedly these are upgrade versions, but I have installed these on completely new hardware, no problem.

if you do go that route, you can only purchase one copy each of the 64 bit and 32 bit versions, however the 32bit key will activate a 64bit installation, no problems

The only caveat is that the OEM license is good only for one PC, you can reinstall OEM to that same PC as many times as you want, but cannot LEGALLY move it to another PC, which comes in to play when your old motherboard dies and you install a new one, MS considers that a new PC. However, if you do uninstall OEM from the original PC and install it on a different one you will fail activation, but can call microsoft, fib a little about which parts you upgraded and they will reactivate that key.

ok thanks. i ordered my oem version off of the egg today. (64 bit) i have no plans on changing this mobo anytime soon so i should be fine. im exited to finally get the most out of my rig. i just feel like xp 32 has been holding me back. i cant wait till it get here

and i do have a .edu email so maybe ill look into going to pro.

Back