• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

who much is the heat limit for this 2.6

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

awaysahmad4u

my 2.6 intel cpu (HT)is running idle at 59C temp, and i think this is toooooo much.. i live in asia where weather is already worm but real hot days are on the way.. then what will i do.. or i don't have to worry with these temps.. what should be the limit for this cpu to :mad:
cpu default speed is 2.6 while it is running at 2.64, that is when i first time installed the cpu on the mobo.. mobo changed the fsb a little by itself. ie 203MHz..
thanks for any help..

the heatsink isnt seated properly that why you temps are so high!

you are looking for 35-40 idle (if using stock heatsink)

203 mhz is normal it just slight differences in reading... what are the ambient temps? what heatsink do you have?

when i starts the computer its temps are 32/31C after 4-5 hours temps goes to 36-37 and after 10-12 hours temps must be 39-40, but today i don't believe this that in the evening i looked at the temp monitor it showed 58-59C after 11 hours of computer working.. i don't know but if it would be a heatsink problem (wrongly mounted) then it would be from the first day of installing cpu and hsf.. why it started today when i had done nothing to it..???

stan03 said:
203 mhz is normal it just slight differences in reading... what are the ambient temps? what heatsink do you have?
its stock hsf..
but here in our country i don't find any nice cooling or hsf or cpu's.

I would check to see that you have it mounted correctly. Did you remember to remove the plastic coating on the bottom of the heatsink? Did you remove the stock thermal paste and use something else?

from last 1 or 2 hours its changing between 57-58 i have installed the cpu about 3 months ago.. but will check for any mistake if it is mounted correctly or not.. but after one hour i will check it.. and i will be able to post next time after 12 hours because my parents will not allow me to use computer late at night.. here its night right now.. so .. looking forward .. what happen...

Make sure that all FOUR of those clips on the stock heatsink unit have hooked into the motherboard socket. Both of those retention levers should be hard to flip into 'locked' position - if they're easy to flip, then you probably mounted it incorrectly.

when i starts the computer its temps are 32/31C after 4-5 hours temps goes to 36-37 and after 10-12 hours temps must be 39-40, but today i don't believe this that in the evening i looked at the temp monitor it showed 58-59C after 11 hours of computer working.. i don't know but if it would be a heatsink problem (wrongly mounted) then it would be from the first day of installing cpu and hsf.. why it started today when i had done nothing to it..???

i'm not sure if what you mean by the "computer working" is that the cpu (both logical and physical for hyperthreading) is at full load or not...

but if at full load, at 2.6ghz (not overclocked or overvolted), the temps could easily be 59-60C with the stock heatsink and case temps of 33-34C....

at stock speed of 2.8ghz and 1.52volts, and case temps of 26C, and the stock heat sink....at full load, my temps hit 55-56C...

now with the slk947u heat sink and 3.3ghz 1.7volts, my temps also hit 55-56c at full load with case temps of 26C

huuuuuuuuufffffffffffffffffffff
i found it.. guyz i found it.........
that was maxvla's client software i downloaded to fold for intel..
but today's morning i realized that all that what happened is just after installing that client software.. today when i started the pc .. from task manager i selected the client programs running in the background and ended them by clicking "end process" . and as i ended 4 of those clients temp fall down to 44... then 42C after 5 minutes it was 38C and after 30Minutes now it is at 36C..
i must talk to maxvla about this .....
but this problem shoked me alot.. therefore i have got a silicon compound for cpu hsf... its "sil more" taiwan.. any one of you know any thing about it.. how is it.. right now i am with the stock compound and hsf for cpu from intel...

the reason your temps dropped is because you took the comp from full load(folding) to an idle so yes the temps will drop. folding is not your temp problem its just what showed it to you because it fully loads the cpu. TGhe stock hsf SUCKS as does the stock thermal interface material. you should maybe try to talk nicley to someone from the states and see if you can buy some as5 from them and use that if you can't get a better hsf then stock. You can also buy as5 off of ebay and some of the seller there will ship inter. You can also buy a hsf from there too and then you'd be all set

Ok, if those temps were full load, then that's much better. The Intel stock heatsink is actually fairly decent, but the fan don't move much air. Silicon thermal paste will work ok. Arctic Silver is a little better, but that will be hard to find in your part of the world. When you pull the heatsink off, clean off the black goop (TIM) and consider lapping the heatsink for a couple degrees lower temps. Apply the new thermal paste and see how that works. Good case ventilation is important too. Adding a case fan or two will help.

Back