• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who's still running Socket A?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kowalski3500

How many of my fellow OC Forum mates are still using a machine with a Socket A processor? I know I am! It's alive and kickin, specs as in my sig, been running that way for about 4 years or so. I use it to do everything from normal web browsing, Myspace, Facebook, Hotmail, etc. to games like WoW, EVE, Oblivion, Live For Speed, Audiosurf. I also use it for audio stuff for my band, recording and making backing tracks go onto a usb stick. I've not reinstalled windows the whole time. And the only problem I've ran into didn't have anything to do with the CPU. Great chip if you ask me.
How long have you had yours, why is it still running?

I have a 1700+ @ ~1560, original Radeon VIVO, SB-Live, 1.5 Gig of ram. ASUS A7A266 MB Reserve rig #2

2400+ @ 2266, Radeon 2600+, 2 Gig RAM, Shuttle AN35N Ultra MB, soon to be HTPC 4 and NAS.

My Barton with my NF7 is still serving me well as an office PC. No OC done to it as it needs to be reliable. :)

Both my mother and little sister are. i put a 6200 agp card into my little sisters so she could have windows7 with the eyecandy lol. my mom's could use some ram but i'm not around to do it for her atm.

little sister has an athlon 2600+. mom has a barton of some sort don't remember which.

I have an Abit AN-7 presently running a locked 2800 Barton. I have it OCed on the FSB so that it runs 2214. However my memory runs lower than the DDR 400 it should. I just spent $22 for a 2400 XP-M which should allow me a similar clock (if not better) and better use of my memory.

Barf, too old of hardware for me personally, I've pretty much given up on single-core for my own hardware...but I'm still running a couple of mobile Bartons at work and they run as well as they ever have. Good boxes for general office tasks in XP.

My buddy and his dad are both using older Thoroughbred-based systems that are each going on eight years old. Their systems are still fast enough to do everything they do on a PC, so they won't upgrade until their systems physically quit working or until WinXP becomes totally obsolete. Considering my buddy paid $800 to build the entire computer back in the day (including monitor and peripherals), plus about $200 over the years in repairs/replacement components (new PSU, new HD, replacement fans, etc), I think he's had a great return on investment with his socket A system.

Last edited:
I have a 1700+ @ ~1560, original Radeon VIVO, SB-Live, 1.5 Gig of ram. ASUS A7A266 MB Reserve rig #2

2400+ @ 2266, Radeon 2600+, 2 Gig RAM, Shuttle AN35N Ultra MB, soon to be HTPC 4 and NAS.

That was my old motherboard, and the only reason I am not running something like an A64 or the like. I had a 1Ghz Thunderbird and that MB and/or the PSU I was using died. Oh yeah it was the power supply first, which lead to me getting the XP-M 2600+ on which I cut one of the L bridges to unlock the multiplier :) THEN the MB decided to die, and that kinda locked me into getting a 'new' socket A platform. OCed it to 210 FSB and 2315-ish MHz. Never got around to getting the bios that allowed this MoBo to go above 210. And recently killed some Corsair sticks, got new ones (damn buying stuff for old computer) from OCZ, dropped back to 200fsb and 2300 MHz. Now the video card is saying BYE BYE. I suppose overclocking an already overclocked card and leaving it that way it's whole life is a good way to murder said card :p

MEEE! Still rocking a few mobile bartons around the house, and I have one setup for playing old games that dont work in Vista/7. I love it. I sold one to a buddy who still uses it as his main rig for playing WoW, etc.
I have several different mobo's in the machines including Shuttle AN35N ultra, 3 ECS K7S5A's, L7S7A2, K7VTA3, etc!

my parents are still running a tbred b in the front room as their "main" although they both have over 2Ghz dual core laptops.....stupid if you ask me.

which reminds me my hyper X is in that and i need to pull it for something else

*raises hand*

My main rig is still a 3000+ Barton running in a Shuttle AK31a :D I'm just now considering an upgrade to a nice quad-core system, but need to scope out the funds first. I've also got a 2500+ running as a headless media server.

JigPu

I have amd sempron 2500+ with 1.5 gigs of kingmax ddr ram and sapphire radeon 9600xt 256mb. The rig is still alive and running.

I am still using my socket A as a work computer.
It is still on the original install of win xp and over four years old.
It is as fast as my dual core internet surfing. It has always been totally stable.

Socket A is not dead!!!

Socket A is indeed not dead yet. I too am running on a 4 or 5 year install of windows. The only thing that is jacked up beyond repair is my Mozilla. Hence I use Chrome. I've had many a virus that had to be manually removed, and all kinds of other crazy things happen to this computer. But it has stayed running strong.

My next build will, however, forsake AMD, for it is a Core i5 build. It'll be nice to have such an immense upgrade. It'll be a whole new game, as they say. I'll have a much larger monitor running a far more detailed resolution, at higher IQ with more AA and WAY more FPS. Not to mention my audio work will be much much faster. Any zipping/unzipping will be a bit more tolerable and I'll finally move away from only having one core.

All that said. This computer is the bomb, and will remain running as long as I can bear to do so. Folding, gaming, it's quite reliable. Just need a video card when this one croaks, it's so sad. It's been volt modded, and I had to undo it because the card was just too tired. Too many months of constant (well, when in 3d mode) overclocks.

Edit: My sig says my 7800gs is running at 400/1300. that's actually now down to 369/1234 and I'm gettin artifacts on black loading screens. She's ready to go bye bye.

Last edited:
I remember when I was converting a 4gig DVD video to a SINGLE 700mb divx file and it took my Socket A 2500+Barton with 1gig RAM to encode it in 16hours....

My current CPU just converted a 8.5gig DVD video to a single 2gig divx in about 40minutes.

I remember when I was converting a 4gig DVD video to a SINGLE 700mb divx file and it took my Socket A 2500+Barton with 1gig RAM to encode it in 16hours....

My current CPU just converted a 8.5gig DVD video to a single 2gig divx in about 40minutes.

Yeah, it's things like that, and Super Pi results, and other such long winded things that make me so sad to not have a really nice current system.

Back