• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who's still running Socket A?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hmm..things are getting STRANGE!

Swapped the Power Supply and it would now boot at 2.4GHZ..ran Super Pi 1MB, so far so good!

Crashed on Nature again:bang head

Tried 2.2GHZ, crash, 2GHZ..CRASH! Only when it's belew 1.9GHZ will it run finish Nature :screwy:

Sooo..I fired up PCMARK 02 and see if that would finish at 2.4GHZ, ran no problem!

I am gonna try 3D-05 and see what that does, but I am still confused by 3D-01's crashng during Nature.

Attachments

• 2.4GHZ Baseline (Small).JPG
    2.4GHZ Baseline (Small).JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 270
Have you tried lowering your GPU speeds back to stock? And disabling all the options like AA and AF in the nVidia control panel?

Have you tried lowering your GPU speeds back to stock? And disabling all the options like AA and AF in the nVidia control panel?

Hmm...THAT must be my problem! I forgot to install the NVIDIA control panel when I Installed the ATI drivers;)

LOL, Just teasing...yeah I have everything disabled and set to low quality, even reinstalled the drivers (Latest version...might try an older one next) and poked around the 3DMARK forums and read that disabling the "VPU" recovery might help because it might be trying to restart the video card.

Set GPU clocks back to stock, uninstalled ATI tray tools, disk clean up defrag, crap cleanered the registry, disabled side band adressing, reinstalled 3D01..formatting the HD (3months old now) is probably about the only thing left!

Ran Prime95 (Both small and large FTT) Memtest, Folding@Home too and everything passes! 3DMARK 05, Super Pi and PCMARK run just fine too...it's only that Nature test in 01 :screwy:

I have had some fun with it though, had it up to 2.6GHZ (So the power supply was definately an issue, would never boot above 2.2GHZ with the old Antec 500) It"s #9 on the ORB for all X-800 pro's (3D05)and there is still some headroom left...

Ive had my 4000+939 SLI 6800's in the top ten overall (3D05) in Oct 05, and a Q6800 SLI 8800U rig in the top 20 3D06 in July 07, so I am an old bench junkie for sure...but NEVER had this particular problem before :confused:

Here are a few screenies for your "Re-Living" the old glory days of socket A, Johan!

Attachments

• Super Pi 2607MHZ (Small).JPG
    Super Pi 2607MHZ (Small).JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 264
  • 2590MHZ 11x230 540x540 (Small).JPG
    2590MHZ 11x230 540x540 (Small).JPG
    65 KB · Views: 263
  • PCPITSTOP 2.5GHZ (Small).JPG
    PCPITSTOP 2.5GHZ (Small).JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 265
Nice. :cool: I wonder what's wrong with Nature? You installed the 3dMark2001 patch or whatever too, right?

Socket A user checking in.

still running a XP3000+ on the eMachine in the living room, used as a HTPC now. stock PSU, 1.5gb DDR ram, and rolling on an nvidia geforce 7800gs. surprisingly, its one of my most reliable PC purchased ever. bought in 2004.

My lousy attempt. You guys are killing my score. I think my motherboard is holding back my CPU overclock a lot. I will try for higher today.

2010%5C02%5C04%5Cbikepics-1894456-full.jpg

*edit
Ok, now im fist deep digging out saved articles on this mobo, looking in books for chipset specs, etc. Im gonna dig around and see if I can find some better memory and crank my bus speed up some more.

Last edited:
i just gave my old rig to my sis/nephews...built that thing in 03' and its still runnin strong. i didnt touch it for 2 1/2 yrs because i built this rig but the thing booted right up..beast.

xp 2800+
Abit NF7-S v1.2
some corsair vs ddr 400 512x2
ati aiw 9800pro

lolol

i just gave my old rig to my sis/nephews...built that thing in 03' and its still runnin strong. i didnt touch it for 2 1/2 yrs because i built this rig but the thing booted right up..beast.

xp 2800+
Abit NF7-S v1.2
some corsair vs ddr 400 512x2
ati aiw 9800pro

lolol

i had a ati 9600xt for a while before i upgraded to a 7800gs(gift). 9800pro was the king back then.. lol

I believe lower multis are never locked.
I'm not sure if that's true for all AXPs. Some required the defroster trick to unlock. If only it were so easy today...

i had a ati 9600xt for a while before i upgraded to a 7800gs(gift). 9800pro was the king back then.. lol

hell yeah. 9600xt was no slouch either though...pro's could be clocked to xt lvls back then. i didnt dare oc mine because it was an AIW so already ran hot as shyte. but yeah the thing was a beast for years...the only reason i upgraded was because after installing bioshock i got an error saying no sm 3.0 detected and was like WHAT?!?! no raaaaaage

Nothing like a good revival ! ! !

I still have a Barton 2400 M running. My daughter uses that one with Win7 everyday.
Running 10X200, very stable. Shuttle AN35N Ultra MB. I also have a Tbred 1600 in an old rig out in my shed. It has my old hard drives and files. I do not turn it on often but it works great over the wifi card I have in it.

my 2¢
YB

I have 2 sister systems with the Abit NFS-V2/0 both still running solid for over 5 years.
My daughter and my wifes that my friend uses and loves.
it's about dependability and not nessasarily the best O/C er.
I believe the NFS-2.0 still has a good following.
I see the DFI junked on ebay all the time. They run good but but seem to burn out faster than the abit. Less problems with the NFS-V2.0

Back