• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who's still running Socket A?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm not sure if that's true for all AXPs. Some required the defroster trick to unlock. If only it were so easy today...

Only the Palominos require that trick and you can't use that to do a partial unlock with later T'breds and Bartons.
(Won't do squat on chips with date code later than 0339.)

I have 2 sister systems with the Abit NFS-V2/0 both still running solid for over 5 years.
My daughter and my wifes that my friend uses and loves.
it's about dependability and not nessasarily the best O/C er.
I believe the NFS-2.0 still has a good following.
I see the DFI junked on ebay all the time. They run good but but seem to burn out faster than the abit. Less problems with the NFS-V2.0
This is very true. The DFI's do bork their BIOS quite often or give you the 4 LED's of death. Turns out you do know your stuff. Believe you me though OC a NF7 series long and hard enough and it will bork it's BIOS too. Don't forget the AN7 as well. The one I owned was a fine board.

BTW this should answer your question:http://hwbot.org/user/optytrooper/

This is very true. The DFI's do bork their BIOS quite often or give you the 4 LED's of death. Turns out you do know your stuff. Believe you me though OC a NF7 series long and hard enough and it will bork it's BIOS too. Don't forget the AN7 as well. The one I owned was a fine board.

BTW this should answer your question:http://hwbot.org/user/optytrooper/

Odd, I had a few abits at the store and they died first. Followed by the terrible MSI boards that all lost USB over time. Still have two DFI's running at Neteffect that i built AGES ago.

i still have my sig rig in the parts bin. needs memory and no longer has the R9800. it's hard to get rid of that thing guys. that was a golden era in overclocking.

Still got an a7n8x-vm400 running. I think it's got a 2200 mp cpu on it. It had a different cpu at first but i dunno where it went :eek: I'm involved with 5 computers and 2 additional ones that are not running :D I forget which parts went where :D

i still have one running. it's in the wife's computer which she uses on a daily basis for mostly simple stuff like browsing the internet, playing flash/shockwave games, doing school work, etc. it has been running 24/7 for quite some time, but at stock speeds. the only thing i have really done to it is add another stick of ram and dust out the case.
winfast k7s 741gxmg
amd athlon xp 2800+
2 x 512mb pc 3200
ati radeon 9550

i wish this thing would go into sleep mode but i'm guessing there is something goofy with the motherboard and the sleep settings but as long as i keeps working, who cares :)

The DFI NF2 Ultra B is vastly better period.
The DFI board I used in the socket A days was enough to make me never buy another DFI product ever. My goodness that board was awful.

I've got one running 24/7 as well. Its a solid performer.

I just need to remember to move its folding off my old team and on to here.

I've owned more socket A boards than most of you have likely owned PC's all together and the DFI NF2 Ultra B is my top choice and for good reason.
I remember a lot of benchers liking that board, but configuring it properly seemed more like a full time job than a hobby. Very finicky, tons of settings, way too much tweaking for me.

My A7n8x-deluxe with 1700+ is still running strong. It doesn't get powered on anymore due to a lack of need, but it still works. Nforce 2 is still the best chipset nvidia ever released. I can't stand my 750i sli board. No AHCI? Really? No ssd upgrade for me.

funny, the wife's athlon xp system gave out the other week. still have a duron 1.6 hanging around but its motherboard has a bad ram slot.

My Athlon 850 is still chugging away that I got in a Gateway store (when they still had their own stores [about July 1999]), with a "Jabil" motherboard. At first it was an Athlon 750, but a couple of things were going wrong with the system, like the system beeper dying, and the CD reader scratching up CDs; and, after complaining, they gave me a new motherboard, the "Athlon 850/Select" (they called it), new memory (64M), new h/d, and a new CD reader....so I was satisfied.

It's still alive, through an o/s upgrade to XP, and upgrade (I did), to 360M RAM.
13 years! That's got to be some kind of record.

Back