• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why can't I cool down?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Directly at the processor? What fan. We are talking a standard 12" or larger house fan that will blow air into the whole case.

It might be your TIM application. Direct Heatpipe heatsinks need a different method. Trents had a good explanation, and I have seen pics on the web on how to do it.

When you pull your HS off the CPU could you please post a pic of the TIM spread on the CPU and bottom of the HS?

AMD guys, do you remove the Mobo to ensure the pins/screws etc are secure on the bottom like we do on Intel chips?
After leaving the fan running for a couple hours my temps are now down 3 degres C. It is an 8inch fan but it is with 6 inches of the case. Now that the temps have dropped I'm going to assume that the HS needs to be redone. I'll take some pics and post them so You guys can see what I'm doing.

Are you talking about load temps or idle temps. Idle temps don't mean much, so please be sure to always test w/ a heavy load; Prime95 small-fft.
I'm talking idle temps. I guess I just felt that if the idle temp is unmoved then there is no reason to believe the load temps would either. After I reseat the HS I'll do a load test and post the results.

do load testing first. You need a baseline for comparison. A good way to see if it's bad contact is to push on the heatsink (so it's applying more pressure to the CPU) and see if your temps drop.

do load testing first. You need a baseline for comparison. A good way to see if it's bad contact is to push on the heatsink (so it's applying more pressure to the CPU) and see if your temps drop.

OK I spent the better part of the afternoon working on reseating the HS. It was a mess. I posting some pics. Alot of glare so some aren't real helpful. The last one is what it looks like after I was done. Everything tied back and out of the way. TIM everywhere took 10 minutes to clean it up. First time I did it it came back with higher idle temps than before. So I did it again. Same thing and again same thing. So I got tired and decided to just do a load test and see how bad it is. I figured it would likely shut down from heat. My load temps are now 4C better than they were. Higher idle temp lower load temps. I can't explain it. I'm just happy to see some improvement. I still have the side off it and I haven't decided if I'll put it back on or not. I'd like to to keep a cat from jumping in it cause that would suck and I can't shoot the cats. (paragraph 4, subsection c of the prenup) If I do put it back I think I'll change it so that the side fan blows air in and the back fan blows out. I'm leaving the back fan as exhaust because the cpu fan is pointed right at it from about 2 inches away. I think I can get it cleared to buy myself a new case. I will be making requests for Christmas as well. It ain't like we're poor I just have a wife who thinks computer stuff is a waist of money beyond email and browsing. A guys got to have a hobby.

Attachments

• 1102001433.jpg
    1102001433.jpg
    480.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 1102001432.jpg
    1102001432.jpg
    586.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 1102001737a.jpg
    1102001737a.jpg
    707.9 KB · Views: 102
You need to move the fan on your heat sink to the other side. Have it blowing through the heatsink to the back of the case.

Capture1.JPG

Hope this helps.

The rear fan is exhaust...leave it like that. But if you can cut that rear grill out it will help the airflow a lot. You can use a wire grill on it if you have 1 to protect stray fingers or cat tails. ;)

If possible mount the CPU fan on the opposite side of the HS w/ it set to blow through the HS towards that rear exhaust fan.

Set the side panel fan to intake, and again try to ensure that it is as unrestricted as possible.

That should at least maximize what you have to work with.

Edit: 2 slow and beaten w/ an awesome pic!

I think the talk of moving the fan is a bit preemptive, do we know that the fan is not pulling air? @op, which direction is the fan blowing?

I think the talk of moving the fan is a bit preemptive, do we know that the fan is not pulling air? @OP, which direction is the fan blowing?
The fan is sucking air through the heat sink. I will switch it to the other side and have it blow through it instead. Curious, why is this better? Sorry about the king size pics. I wasn't expecting that. I'll have to figure out how to shrink them.:rolleyes:

It depends on the heatsink as to which is better, someone assumed it was blowing air and everyone jumped on that bandwagon. Do a replicable load test (prime95, small ffts, 20 mins), run coretemp (while testing), and record the max temp. Move the fan to the other side and repeat. Whichever one is cooler (assuming no change in ambients) is the better performer on your heatsink.

Fans, like all pumps, are more efficient when pushing their working fluid (or gas) then they are when pulling.

The fan is sucking air through the heat sink. I will switch it to the other side and have it blow through it instead. Curious, why is this better? Sorry about the king size pics. I wasn't expecting that. I'll have to figure out how to shrink them.:rolleyes:

Ust a freeware progarm called PixResizer to shrink the pics. 640x480 is about right.

Man, you got your CPU cooler fan direction all wrong! Put the fan on the front face of the cooler blowing through the heat sink towards the back of the case.

Fans, like all pumps, are more efficient when pushing their working fluid (or gas) then they are when pulling.

I think this refutes that...
http://martin.skinneelabs.com/Radiator-Fan-Orientation-And-Shroud-Testing-Review.html

Ust a freeware progarm called PixResizer to shrink the pics. 640x480 is about right.

Man, you got your CPU cooler fan direction all wrong! Put the fan on the front face of the cooler blowing through the heat sink towards the back of the case.

fan is pointed towards the back of the case, it's just pulling air through instead of pushing from the other side.

fan is pointed towards the back of the case, it's just pulling air through instead of pushing from the other side.

Yeah, I know but it should be pushing instead of pulling. Pulling might work better than pushing for case ventilation (I realize there is a controversy here) but for cooling a heatsink pushing is the way to go. I note that essentially every CPU cooler manufacturer ships their product with the fan pushing.

Yeah, I know but it should be pushing instead of pulling. Pulling might work better than pushing for case ventilation (I realize there is a controversy here) but for cooling a heatsink pushing is the way to go. I note that essentially every CPU cooler manufacturer ships their product with the fan pushing.

look at the link I posted in my previous post. There are various conditions where pushing IS NOT superior, the only way to know in this specific case is to test. I will agree that, were I to be forced into a generalization, I would probably come down on the side of push as superior, we may not want to generalize this.

I tried multi quotes, no workie, I need help from the masters for that. Lemme see if I can get this right.

Lots of work for me, hope it helps you.

1. 8" cheapo fan isn't gonna make a lot of diff, but in the big picture, it does.

2. I can say, just looking at your lousy pics the rear case fan is not good at all. You need to get a better one looking at the fan fins, VERY low pressure. Moving the fan to the PUSH side of the cooler is going to be your biggest gain. Not sure how good that fan is, but consider if everything else fails replacing it. For a HS, PUSH is always better. Also, kinda wonder if the HS is 180 degrees out. Not sure, I'm not AMD. PUSH to the fins, let the case exhaust suck it out.

3. From the crappy pics, and no pic of the TIM on the CPU, your TIM is way whacked. Please follow Trents method, I mentioned it before, and make sure you get the mount even.

4. CUT that freaking extra blockage, buy a $2.00 fan cover for the back fan.

Still no sig, still no idea what GPU your using................

You need to move the fan on your heat sink to the other side. Have it blowing through the heatsink to the back of the case.

View attachment 87695

Hope this helps.

look at the link I posted in my previous post. There are various conditions where pushing IS NOT superior, the only way to know in this specific case is to test. I will agree that, were I to be forced into a generalization, I would probably come down on the side of push as superior, we may not want to generalize this.

PUSH. Air heatsinks. PUSH.

I tried to reseat the HS again this morning. This time I used the TIM that came with the cooler. I also reversed the fan to the other side so that it is pushing air not pulling. Made a HUGE difference. Not much change in the idle temps but the load temps are down 10C. That's a major difference. Not sure what helped most TIM or fan reversal but it doesn't mater. Temps are much better now. Thanks for all of the advice. At this point I think I'm as far as I can go for the equipment I have. I'll be upgrading for sure.

Just a final question. What would a good high flow case fan be? I'd like to balance noise vs volume as much as possible. I can always set my fan preferences with Easytune 6 I guess. But the case I get is going to have more places to put a fan.

Back