• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why cant i get this system to spec?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The Coolest said:
if you ran it at small FFTs its more likely that the processor is unstable than the RAM, but sure give it a shot see what happens. If it happens again it means that the CPU is unstable.
Also when prime95 runs, what do your +5v and +12v rails read?
(Although the failure may or may not be any of the northside components, etc.)

He shouldn't need to adjust VCore to run at stock...is this a new CPU, 'cause I'd send it back.

mmmmmm isnt that in a sense getting into the overclocking? id like to figure out whats going on here, get it to run where it should then get into tweaking,this should be able to run 200mhz, 1.65 vcore, with room to spare correct? all i can get is 196...............at this point im about ready to replace both ram and cpu................i think if i replaced just the cpu , which it seems this is tending to lean towards, id have problems tweaking since kingston doesnt support running their ddr400 on this board...............im leaning towards mushkin redline, 20 bucks cheaper than what i payed for the kingston and i do believe better ram................the cpu, ill just get my money back and get it from someone else...................from what you guys see on these tests has the mb been ruled out? or not yet?

Captain Newbie said:
(Although the failure may or may not be any of the northside components, etc.)

He shouldn't need to adjust VCore to run at stock...is this a new CPU, 'cause I'd send it back.

well , it came sandwiched inbetween 2 pieces of plastic with rubberbands around it in a usps envelope, seeing that these havent been made for a while , it could have came from anywheres, who knows this thing wasnt overclocked?, thats what i thought when i opened it up.............but the ram is also a variable here, because kingston must say they dont support it on this board for a reason...............

If can ask for a refund do so, and just get yourself an AthlonXP Mobile 2600+... It'll overclock way better than any desktop chip, and it will most certainly be able to run faster than 2.2GHz...

and thats a socket a 400fsb? see , when i built this i was told that the 3200+ barton was the fastest chip i could put in this board, i guess they werent taking into consideration overclocking huh? i dont wana push it too far, im not going to get radical cooling and all that, i figured id just bump it up a little at a time and watch the temp,maybe an additional front fan .....................also the hs fan i have on this 3200+ was one that amd recommended, i assume it will be enuff for this chip your talking about?

The default of the XP-M 2600+ is 133x15 = 2000MHz, although say 200x10 will work just as well. And 2.2GHz should be possible even at the default voltage of 1.575v.
Just so you know on any desktop motherboard the chip will default to 600 (100x6) or 800MHz (133x6), but in your mobo you can go up to 12.5 multiplier right from the BIOS.

wasp9166 said:
and thats a socket a 400fsb? see , when i built this i was told that the 3200+ barton was the fastest chip i could put in this board, i guess they werent taking into consideration overclocking huh? i dont wana push it too far, im not going to get radical cooling and all that, i figured id just bump it up a little at a time and watch the temp,maybe an additional front fan .....................also the hs fan i have on this 3200+ was one that amd recommended, i assume it will be enuff for this chip your talking about?
Socket A (462) 200MHz FSB (DDR400) to be extremely picky and particular. (AMD Athlon XP front-side busses are 'double pumped', meaning that 200MHz gets you 400 MT/sec, million transfers per second.) But yes, you're right.

In general, the AMD-reccomended ergo stock cooler will not be sufficient for overclocking, and for people who are sensitive to their CPU temperatures (me), regardless of whether they overclock or not, install a different cooler.

In general:
* There's no such thing as overcooled.
* There's no such thing as overbuilt.

well, i have a feeling i may get screwed, i got the cpu from this place called buyaib, only because newegg didnt have any, and i found em on pricewatch, well i cant talk to em till tomm but i just read their "policies", it says all cpu must be returned within 7 days, and even then they are subject to a 15% restocking fee..................it says 3 month warranty on the sales receipt tho, is that through amd?....................it took over 7 days to troubleshoot =(

wasp9166 said:
well, i have a feeling i may get screwed, i got the cpu from this place called buyaib, only because newegg didnt have any, and i found em on pricewatch, well i cant talk to em till tomm but i just read their "policies", it says all cpu must be returned within 7 days, and even then they are subject to a 15% restocking fee..................it says 3 month warranty on the sales receipt tho, is that through amd?....................it took over 7 days to troubleshoot =(

If the CPU is faulty or not as described then I'm sure by law they must replace it or refund you.

i guess all i have is this thread to prove its faulty..........even then they could blame it on my ram, i guess ill see how it goes, you guys come across faulty cpus often? someone told me if the cpu was faulty the comp wouldnt even boot up...............anyway,the xp-m 2600+ is on its way from newegg , plus another case fan.............ill use the hs/fan i have now and see how it goes temp wise

Try to contact AMD, tell that that after troubleshooting you've come to the conclusion that its probably the CPU that's causing your problem, and see what they have to say.

yeah , ill call amd first, listen , been doing some reading, lets just say im not going to have any heat problems =), few questions on fan tho, is 92mm that much better than 80mm? whats more important cfm or rpm? whats the tolerable dba level? i was reading anything over 50dba is too loud.........

Well CFM is directly affected by RPM.
CFM = Cubic Feet per Minute, RPM = Rotations Per Minute. So the faster the fan the more CFM it puts out.
92mm will be somewhat better than 80mm, but it will also depend on how much air either of the fans are rated to move. With a 120mm fan you will probably notice a difference.
The noise levels is a subject you can argue about forever as everyone has his/her own tolerance for noise. The part where you say 50dba is arguable as well, as 50dba 3 feet from the might be considered noisy, while 50dba a few inches from the fan will probably be hardly noticable in normal use.

something i was just noticing, in my bios for sdram cas latency i have 4 options, auto, 2t,2.5t and 3t.....................whats the t for? i never see a t in any advertised timings.............and i cant find anywheres how much voltage on the ram this board is capable of...............

Last edited:
well guess what, i just looked on the board , it says rev 1.01, i just bought it a week ago , how can this be?

eh , turns out , it is a 1.01 board but asus says the latest version bios shouldnt give me problem, thats why it says rev 2.xx in asus pc probe i assume

i bought a a7n8x=e back in march and it has trouble running running 200 mhz sometimes
First up the vcore to 1.7 and set the FSB to 200

this board is very picky with memory so that could be 1 problem

Back