• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why does a cpu get hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yes, certain cpu's are hotter then others.

Explanation: A transistor is small, very small. Now electricity being electrons. Now we can not predict were an electron will be, there is a randomness to it, and since the transistors are that small, the electricity could leave the transistor, and that is the heat. Since there are millions of transistors in a cpu, it gets very hot.

I thought Intel ran hotter? Wasn't there a article on the inquirer about Intel cpu using 120 Watts of power?

RIght now Intel chips run hotter than AMD chips. This wasn't the case a few years ago - AMD has developed a stigma of being hot chips that will be hard to distance themselves from.

The main contributor to thermal dissipation is voltage, feature size (through voltage) and speed. There are two types of heat dissipation in chips:

1. Each time a trasnisitor changes state (from 1 to 0) a certain amount of heat is dissipated - this is called active power. The active power is dependent on the voltage to the chip, and the voltage of the chip is determined by the size of the average feature on the chip. The active power dissipated by the chip is a function of the dissipation of a single transistor times the number of times the transistor changes state per second. Hence, higher speeds means more heat produced.

2. THe second type of heat dissipated is leakage current. Leakage current is power that flows in the chip when transistors are not switching, ie. energy that is not used to perform calculations. Leakage current increases with voltage and increases with decresing feature size. At higher voltages, there is more potential for current flow across a closed gate. At smaller feature size the oxide layer is smaller and there is less electrical resistance to current flow across a closed gate.

If you're looking for more details you'll have to ask an Electrical engineer - I'm not sure I have a full grasp of the quantum physics involved with transistor switching.

Edit: CPUs get hot because they produce a lot of energy. Energy dissipation from one object to another is proportional to the difference in temperature between the two objects. So a CPU will accumulate energy (heat up) until the temperature difference between the CPU and the ambient air is sufficient to dissipate the same amount of heat that a CPU produces.

Q = heat dissipation
A = Area
deltaT = Temperature Difference= Tcpu-Tambient
U = heat Trasnfer coefficient

Q=UA(deltaT)

So to increase heat trasnfer, you either have to increase your area (larger heatsink), increase your heat trasnfer coefficient (watercooling, phase change cooling or higher clamping pressures for heatsinks) or higher temperatures to increase the temperature differential.

I may not be able to answer EE type questions, but I'm alright with heat transfer. If anyone wants more details, just ask.

Last edited:
Thanks for all this information. I think that Intel chips do run hotter than AMD now adays. I see many AMD users getting down to below 40C while Intel users are complaining about heat.

thanks for the info. heh, i have so many questions and i always goto you guys, even when i have an electrical engineer available at all times, my father.

Anyway, so the switching of transistors accounts for heat and also when current is leaked out of them when they are idle. Makes sense that higher voltages mean more current.

How about the die size? When you shrink the die size does that lessen or increase heat?

Also, I'm not looking to start a flame war here between AMD and Intel CPUs. I just want to know the basics about what causes heat. :)

MadAgent said:

How about the die size? When you shrink the die size does that lessen or increase heat?

If you talk about the same architecture and clock speed at two different feature sizes ( example .18micron vs .13 micron ), the chip with the smaller feature size will run cooler because the voltage needed to drive the chip is less.

This has been true because decreasing the voltage decreased the active power.

The last process shrink that intel did (.13um--->.09um) did not decrease heat output even after decreasing voltage. IMHO, I believe that leakage current is becoming a larger and larger factor in heat output and that future die shrinks may not decrease heat output.

[BBE]Jimbob said:
about intel chips running hotter than amd now....PressHot :p

Oh Yeah i forgot about that oven preshot err i mean prescott. Now that I think about it, it is us Intel'ers complaining about heat more. Maybe because AMD people save money buying their AMD procs and use the rest of the money for a better HSF. While us Intel people drop all the money on a proc. Anyway this was a good read. Thanks

abitavenger said:
Why do AMD's run hotter? More work per cycle?

They don't run hotter...muppet.

Though I would like to know why the Intel CPUs (northwoods) run at 1.5v yet the athlon XPs run at 1.65? and how the athlons can take much more voltage than a northwood?

MetalStorm said:

Though I would like to know why the Intel CPUs (northwoods) run at 1.5v yet the athlon XPs run at 1.65? and how the athlons can take much more voltage than a northwood?

I'm not really sure. AMD may have assigned a higher stock voltage to get better bins splits on the AXP's. As far as handling voltage, I don't know. Maybe something to do with Intel hand optimizing the chips and placing transistors closer together?? (I'm reaching here).

I think it must be something to do with the architecture, as the Athlon 64s all run at 1.5v I believe, even the fastest grade ones. So it seems to be a bit strange.

MetalStorm said:

They can take more voltage due to the design of it. Prescott runs at what? 1.4? and thats still at 103W! They are just designed to take more voltage, and not emit as much. same thinking behind SOI. less voltage, higher speed.

Back