• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why does my frequency jump around?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ashenfang

The Jet Man!
Just built my new rig last week and have been reading up on over clocking it but haven't done so yet. But I noticed this morning when looking at CPU information, either through HWmonitor or just the windows task manager, that the CPU frequency jumps around from 1.45ghz to 3.2ghz. Almost like the CPU is "auto" ranging depending on the tasks. It does show all 6 cores and each of the cores do this.

The processor is a AMD fx6300, on a gigabyte board.

I did read that when I do finally get to overcclocking there are some settings in the bios that control features that seem similar to this, that get turned off to place the CPU into a locked frequency. Is that correct?

The frequency jumping is normal.
Yes, you can cut it off in the BIOS. This is why we disable Cool N Quiet as well as all the C states when overclocking.

When you are not doing anything it idles down to it's idle speed. It's part of all the power saving features of the motherboard. Overclocking will take care of that.

Before you overclock you will turn off turbo mode, c1e, c6 state, APM, and turn on HPC.

Also set all of your voltage values static and not on auto.

Leave CPU voltage set static at the stock value and up your multiplier small amounts at a time then start up Prime 95 test for 15 min and watch your temps.

What are you using for cooling.

Wow thanks for the quick replies!

The cooler is a cooler master hyper 212 evo

Ok just making sure you had a decent cooler before you started to OC.

Go ahead and do a 20 min P95 stress test on blend mode and post up screenshots of HWmonitor, Cpu-z main/spd/mem tabs so we have a baseline to help with.

Its called throtlling and on some board even turning off APM or cool and quiet wont effect it, most of the time VRM chips do it itself to protect CPU from too much current when overclocked.

Its called throtlling and on some board even turning off APM or cool and quiet wont effect it, most of the time VRM chips do it itself to protect CPU from too much current when overclocked.

Yes throttling occurs but the OP wasn't describing throttling. What they were experiencing was the CPU jumping between P-Staes. 1.4G is near idle speed not throttling speed.

P states does same thing practically but so does throttling. ASrock boards do it like a mofo, you can have everything off even what controls P states and you will get the throttling unless you put a frigggen iceburg on the mosfets.

P states does same thing practically but so does throttling. ASrock boards do it like a mofo, you can have everything off even what controls P states and you will get the throttling unless you put a frigggen iceburg on the mosfets.

And that, right there, is exactly why I dumped my Extreme9 for a Sabertooth.......aside from burning up two EX9's. The Sabo has no issues with VRM heat at all. No throttling, even at benching speeds and voltages.

The Extreme 9 chokes are tiny. I was so impressed with the Sabertooth first generation board I got on eBay a while back that also I picked up an R2 to play with. You guys swear by these ASUS boards for good reason.

Last edited:

It isnt throttling. The Gigabyte board has plenty of power and the VRMs arent weaksauce enough to cause throttling at idle. My 83xx will bounce from 1.4 to 4.2 if I leave the power save and turbo features on (which I do unless I am testing something. The electric bill doesnt pay itself ya'know..)
I have pushed my 83xx on the GA-990FXa-UD3 over 5GHz and she held steady at 1.5v (probably a bit high on the voltage but rather safe than sorry) and it never throttled up into the mid 50*s temp. I could feel the heat coming from the top vents on the case from the VRM heat sinks and she just kept chugging along.

I could feel the heat coming from the top vents on the case from the VRM heat sinks and she just kept chugging along.

You got that shett right man. I can feel the heat coming off the heatsink on VRM of my CHV board when I begin to apply swift kicks to my boards butt and tell it to giddyup. Hehehe.
RGone...ster.

It isnt throttling. The Gigabyte board has plenty of power and the VRMs arent weaksauce enough to cause throttling at idle. My 83xx will bounce from 1.4 to 4.2 if I leave the power save and turbo features on

Thx you just proved my point ;)

Rest of you yes, Asus does not seem to suffer as much from throttling, Im switching back, before it was DFI, they no longer exist now, been using Asrock and it was soso. Now backt o Asus Formula V and gonna OC the **** out of this CPU

Back