• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why Guess ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Even ambient temps would effect results
Indeed, but you simply normalize those using the rule I mentioned above ad nauseum, LOL! If your first set of testing is 22C and second set is 24C, you either raise the 22C testing results up 2C to match the higher value, or you lower the 24C testing results 2C to match to lower value. (that is Skinee/Martin's method, note)

all in all ... if you manage to have AIR OUT & LOOP TEMP less than Ambient + 10 °C, then you've "won" :)
Both in most efficient airflow & water-to-air "heat" dissipation.

Shooting for anything less than Ambient + 5°C will have you hit the diminishing returns wall no matter what theorethical model or practical implementations used. Most systems can't even hit Ambient +5°C when idle.

There are water cooled PSUs and HDD waterblocks and such. You could probably get the vast majority of the heat into a water loop if you really wanted to.

Yea, TBH though I personally think cooling VRM's, memory HHD's have more cons than pros for an ambient water cooling system

Here are the temps I am currently getting on my CPU. This thread has made me wonder if I can improve upon this using and exit fan instead of exiting though a rad ?

Unfortunately I have no way to measure the water temp

Attachments

• Prime Temp Check For Music.jpg
    Prime Temp Check For Music.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 36
Witch, use the tools I gave you, repeatedly in this thread, to figure that out...all you need is a temp probe to measure the AIR. ;)

Basically, all you need to do is see what your current air intake temp on the rad is now, and figure out what your ambient is. Then, using the information I gave above (temp will rise and fall at 1:1 ratio) figure it out.

For example, if your intake air temp on the rad is 30C, and your ambient is 25C, then you should lose close to 5C off your temps if you can get that 25C air to the rad. :thup:

Last edited:
If your hottest core is only 72°c at full load, you need more volts and a higher OC :D

Witch, use the tools I gave you, repeatedly in this thread, to figure that out...all you need is a temp probe to measure the AIR. ;)

Basically, all you need to do is see what your current air intake temp on the rad is now, and figure out what your ambient is. Then, using the information I gave above (temp will rise and fall at 1:1 ratio) figure it out.

For example, if your intake air temp on the rad is 30C, and your ambient is 25C, then you should lose close to 5C off your temps if you can get that 25C air to the rad. :thup:

I will give it a go this weekend and see what I come up with bro, thanks

Sometimes I just get tunnel vision and miss the obvious

@ BN yea, for this CPU it is at the highest clock it will run at, be it LN2, Phase or water :cry:

wish I had a decent one, this cpu simply will not scale even with cold

Yea, TBH though I personally think cooling VRM's, memory HHD's have more cons than pros for an ambient water cooling system

Here are the temps I am currently getting on my CPU. This thread has made me wonder if I can improve upon this using and exit fan instead of exiting though a rad ?

Unfortunately I have no way to measure the water temp

Adding h2o to the vrm's on the CHVF-Z was allowed a slight increase in OC and a substantial increase in stability. IDK if this is the same for all MB chipsets. Memory would run +15C until I added a small memory cooling fan set, now it runs +5C, hdd's/sdd's have never been over +4C.

With approximately 240cfm (fr, btm, side fans) of ambient air being pushed in to the case, the case air temps seldom are over +2-3C. With these case air temp I can use exhaust for the rad, I've never liked the idea of moving heated air in to the case.

I currently use 8 hardware temp sensors, plus all the software temps gives you a lot in info to work with. I would like to add even more hardware temp sensors.

I can buy that, but AMD is a different animal altogether.
I am working with another guy on another form with an AMD system, seems 120.2 runs out of talent with these CPU's as they approach 5Ghz , with the types of volts he is pushing active cooling makes complete sense.

On an Intel chip it matters very little as I have benched stable at 6.2 @ 1.84 core (Crappy chip) with nothing but stock cooling and a fan on the VRM's and stix at almost 3000 with stock coolers

I look forward to doing these calc's to see where I am at.

+1, not on intel... not needed at all. AMD, entirely different ballgame for those power suckers!

Damn! More fuel on the "I want to build a i7" fire.
It's not all ice cream cones and puffy clouds on the I7 side either Mad, they're over the place with heat and overclocking. They can be some hot little buggers, at least my 4770k is. On the same loop I have my 8350 2 hours prime stable up to 5.1 I cannot get the 4770k above 4.4 stable without hitting my heat wall. Don't get me wrong it's a great chip it's been as high as 5250mhz but sure reminds me of the FX when it comes to heat!

It's not all ice cream cones and puffy clouds on the I7 side either Mad, they're over the place with heat and overclocking. They can be some hot little buggers, at least my 4770k is. On the same loop I have my 8350 2 hours prime stable up to 5.1 I cannot get the 4770k above 4.4 stable without hitting my heat wall. Don't get me wrong it's a great chip it's been as high as 5250mhz but sure reminds me of the FX when it comes to heat!

If it makes you feel better, at 4.4GHz the 4770k likely beats the 8350 at 5.1GHz in the majority of tasks.

Good point,

This is an old chart, but it does show AMD sitting at the table at least

They do pretty well pushing BF4, I can only speculate they would have similar performance on games that can make use of all the cores

While this is great news for the AMD faithful, it really shows clock for clock how bad AMD is getting hammered in the gaming department

Attachments

• BF4 CPU.jpg
    BF4 CPU.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 11
If it makes you feel better, at 4.4GHz the 4770k likely beats the 8350 at 5.1GHz in the majority of tasks.
I had no doubt that someone was going to go there Bob, agreed! I just feel that a lot of people get the I7 thinking that they're going to run them in the mid to high 4's on Air. Which I know in my case is impossible even with the big loop I have. When I was working on my 4770k it sure reminded me of the Fx 8350 when it came to heat, that's all.

Back