• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is Windows 10 ending so early?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neostarwcc

Okay so, Microsoft has stated that Windows 10 is going to be the last operating system they're going to be working on. Part of their marketing campaign is that our children are going to grow up on Windows 10 ...etc. That gives off and gave off the aura to me personally that, they were going to continue to provide updates for a long, long time for Windows 10. Support that carried on for at LEAST 30 years. And then, I see the update discontinued date. October 13th 2020. So, in a little over 4 years from now, 5 years after release date, Microsoft will no longer provide updates for Windows 10? How is this supposed to carry onto the lives of our children? What? Are we supposed to use an unsupported and unupdated OS for the rest of our lives? Or all programs are going to be Linux? Assuming... Linux even continues to exist 30 years in the future as well... but, linux seems to be the operating system that our children will grow up on.

So, why is it a big deal that they continue to provide updates? Cyber Security. If they stop making updates there are so many security threats, hacking threats, ...etc that will be possible if Microsoft no longer updates the operating system. That's why they made so many security updates for Windows XP,7 ...etc. And why they tell people "If you get hacked using an older OS It's your problem."

So... obviously Microsoft is aware of this. Microsoft holds a majority of the OS market, why in 4 and a half years should they force PC users to use a different OS when many, many PC users and enthusiasts (Myself included) grew up with Microsoft Operating Systems. I've been using Microsoft OS'S since Windows 3.1.

I mean, I'm fine that It's the last OS that Microsoft wants to work on. But, for the sake of Cyber security and everything else, shouldn't they provide security updates for much, much longer than just 4 and a half years?

My assumption is that they will have to update those dates based on the build numbers/large update build numbers. Meaning that the RTM release of Windows 10 may only be supported that long, but the next build of Windows 10 will have a longer time frame?

That's just a guess.

OP, You're a little misinformed.
W10 will incur rolling upgrades just like OSX software. Presumably, you will have to pay for those though. That's why M$ is basically giving away the first edition.
M$ is equivalent to a heroin dealer at this point. They get you hooked for free and then charge you to feed your habit later. They make more money that way.

My assumption is that they will have to update those dates based on the build numbers/large update build numbers. Meaning that the RTM release of Windows 10 may only be supported that long, but the next build of Windows 10 will have a longer time frame?

That's just a guess.

This makes sense. In Apple land OS X has been out for over a decade but versions like Snow Leopard are no longer supported even though they are a version of OS X.

Really this just means that Microsoft has decided not to increase the major version number any more. The question is how many of the 10.x updates will be free.

OP, You're a little misinformed.
W10 will incur rolling upgrades just like OSX software. Presumably, you will have to pay for those though. That's why M$ is basically giving away the first edition.
M$ is equivalent to a heroin dealer at this point. They get you hooked for free and then charge you to feed your habit later. They make more money that way.

BpqFPRA.jpg

That's an easy answer. NONE.

We don't know that for sure. Microsoft might be shifting business models and turning their OS into a platform that generates revenue instead of a platform that is sold to generate revenue. This doesn't mean it can't be both but if it is the former updates would be cheap or free simply to keep the platform relevant so people don't jump ship.

Time will tell. But if they do sell the next version of Windows 10 is that any different from all other versions of Windows except the initial version of Windows 10 we see now? :D

Think money. That is all M$ thinks about.
Jump ship to what? Linux? The GP isn't ready for that yet, and neither are most of the software writers.

Think money. That is all M$ thinks about.
Jump ship to what? Linux? The GP isn't ready for that yet, and neither are most of the software writers.

This is a good point. In terms of gaming there is only Windows. However I look at it in terms of Windows 10 being to Windows 8 as Windows 7 was to Vista. Having bought both Vista Ultimate and 8.1 Pro it was a bitter pill buying Windows 7 so soon after Vista which really by the time 7 came out was in decent shape. This time Windows 10 was free.

It doesn't really matter for me though. Work provides me access to MSDN in my name. I can get any retail license for Windows for free. :D

In terms of cost for the OS. Phones update so that they can force users to update once the updates weigh down the device to crippled status.

Apple updates OS X for free because it keeps people able to use the latest software in the App Store which they get 30% of all revenue.

Microsoft might be trying to emulate that.

However I have no problem with them making money. Everyone has to eat and have a place to stay. Lots of people working hard to make us happy.

Do we know what the release cycle time line is for future versions? (Spoken like true addict lol)

7.4 billon people in the world and Microsoft is the richest company in the world, they can afford to sell there new OS for $99.00 there definitely not hurting for money for a small OS department.

7.4 billon people in the world and Microsoft is the richest company in the world, they can afford to sell there new OS for $99.00 there definitely not hurting for money for a small OS department.

Who knows it might be $99 from now on or less. Maybe if they make good money on the sales fees in the app store they might even make the OS free. Who knows it is too early to tell. :D

Who knows it might be $99 from now on or less. Maybe if they make good money on the sales fees in the app store they might even make the OS free. Who knows it is too early to tell. :D

That was along the lines of what I was expecting after they announced the OSasaServiceModel for Win10. If they can get everyone on the same environment with the store front/etc then it is a huge win for them.

That was along the lines of what I was expecting after they announced the OSasaServiceModel for Win10. If they can get everyone on the same environment with the store front/etc then it is a huge win for them.

It's also why Windows 10 forces updates. It's all a matter of forcing people to have the same OS so there is no fragmentation. They might even force the major versions.

It's also why Windows 10 forces updates. It's all a matter of forcing people to have the same OS so there is no fragmentation. They might even force the major versions.
Then they will force themselves into a class action suit.
Businesses cannot have this. Some use one of a kind software that may not like a certain update. It takes the IT people much testing before it can be deployed. Imagine the cost if they had to do this once a week. Imagine the cost if they didn't an an update crashed their system, or worse, wiped it out.

Then they will force themselves into a class action suit.
Businesses cannot have this. Some use one of a kind software that may not like a certain update. It takes the IT people much testing before it can be deployed. Imagine the cost if they had to do this once a week. Imagine the cost if they didn't an an update crashed their system, or worse, wiped it out.
I don't think they can be sued for forcing updates especially when for Pro and Enterprise versions being able to defer updates for a while.

I'm not saying I agree with it. I wish that they would strop the strong arm tactics. I hate the idea of forced updates.

I don't think they can be sued for forcing updates especially when for Pro and Enterprise versions being able to defer updates for a while.
We will see. It's just a matter of time.
All's it's gonna take is a few mom and pop stores running POS and getting an uncontrolled W10 forced upgrade or update that shut's the store down. It WILL happen....if it already hasn't.

Last edited:
Interesting. Thank you for posting original poster. This is the date that counts (for most of us): 2025, just two years after Windows 8 support ends in 2023, by which time I'm sure successor to Windows 10 will be available for purchase/upgrade.

Windows10.png

Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle?C2=18165

imho, there is a one word answer for what the most important reason for pushing us to switch to Windows 10 is - and that one word is telemetry.

Windows 8 with Classic Shell tends to be snappier than Windows 7, in most people's opinions when compared side by side on a same system dual boot. But you can't really say that Windows 10 is snappier than Windows 8. Other than DirectX of course, could someone post real life advantages over Windows 10 over Windows 8?

Here's what I mean by real life and not stuff lost of people don't use or care about.
Case can be made for Windows 8 advantages over Windows 7 after Classic Shell is installed:

1. You could pause/continue copy-paste operations. You can say 'no big deal' but most people admit that's a cool nifty little feature Windows 8 has over 7.
2. Windows 8 boots faster. You could say 'by only a few seconds', but again, cool feature over Win7. Real life stuff, I'm not talking about stuff most people don't actually use.

3. Error-checking a large external drive (under Windows 7 this results in a memory leak.) There was no known fix last time I checked.
4. Definitely snappier performance. Windows 8 is snappier than 7 as people on the forums reported often when installing them side by side on the same system.

5. There were other little things like RAM and CPU usage advantages, multi-monitor advantages, touch screen application advantages.

Where's the real life list for Windows 10 other than DirectX?
Lots of people don't really care about Windows app store and the like.

And now Windows 10 has a cut off date just two years after Windows 8? After July 2016, it's going to be more questionable whether a Windows 10 upgrade is recommended from [Win8+Classic Shell], unless there are things that I am completely missing about Windows 10, please post if there are?

I think they explain it here better :

"Much like how Google's Chrome browser gets updated regularly with version numbers nobody really pays attention to, Microsoft's approach will likely result in a similar outcome. This is really the idea of Windows as a service, and the notion that Windows 10 could be the last major version of Windows. Microsoft could opt for Windows 11 or Windows 12 in future, but if people upgrade to Windows 10 and the regular updates do the trick then everyone will just settle for just "Windows" without even worrying about the version number."

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/7/8568473/windows-10-last-version-of-windows

Back