• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is Windows 10 ending so early?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't know what that means and I would appreciate it if someone can explain things in a language a ten year old can understand. Because here's what I mean:

The official Microsoft Support Lifecycle web page is the one and only source of what really matters, which is the last day we can click on Windows Update and actually get a security update for any version of Windows. When that date comes - no more security updates unless you install a new operating system, not a service pack or an incremental version update but a whole different version of Windows that has nothing to do with the previous one.

They listed a 2025 date for Windows 10 and a 2023 date for Windows 8.

In case of Windows 8, when that 2023 date comes - NO MORE WINDOWS 8 UPDATES, period.
So therefore in case of Windows 10, when that 2025 date comes, no more Windows 10 updates...

Why and how is that statement incorrect as of today?

So once again, here are the official end of life dates for all Windows versions: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/lifeselect
Extended Support End Date is the date that actually means "after this date, when you click on Windows Update - there will be no more updates unless you buy / get and install a completely new version of Windows..."

Where does it say that new version will be free for today's Windows 10 license owners?

I am unaware of how it has worked in previous version. How long has it been before the next version is/was announced? Meaning how long was XP on the market before Vista was announced and then how muhc longer before release? I have heard Windows 7 was released quickly after Vista because Vista lacked popularity.

Obviously I can get the answers to those questions myself from searching, but the bigger point is that subsequent versions were released more quickly after a flop like Vista/Win 8. We got Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 from M$ is order to keep the public happy. Whatever the end of life for Windows 10 is, the newest OS will likely depend on how Win10 is recieved.

I am unaware of how it has worked in previous version. How long has it been before the next version is/was announced? Meaning how long was XP on the market before Vista was announced and then how muhc longer before release? I have heard Windows 7 was released quickly after Vista because Vista lacked popularity.

Obviously I can get the answers to those questions myself from searching, but the bigger point is that subsequent versions were released more quickly after a flop like Vista/Win 8. We got Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 from M$ is order to keep the public happy. Whatever the end of life for Windows 10 is, the newest OS will likely depend on how Win10 is recieved.

XP came out during my second year of college. XP was still the current OS in 2005 when I started my first job out of college. In other words it was four years. Granted in between then media center edition was released and a 64Bit version. Then Vista came out and shortly after that everyone that bought Vista got the shaft when Windows 7 came out and had to spend money all over again. The cycle varies wildly.

To answer your question: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/lifeselect lists the real End of Life, also known as Extended Support End Date.

The point is that there is an official end of life now for Windows 10 (there wasn't before) and it is two years after Windows 8 ends.
Yes the "Beginning of Life" varies but the point is when somebody is making financial decisions about this, they absolutely care, for financial reasons, what that End Of Life date is. I kept checking that page for Windows 10 and started to believe that Microsoft really did have some other business model, as alluded to in this thread - but they don't. It's no different than Windows 8. They will last almost exactly as long, just over ten years each.

Because of point of sale machines, Windows XP is a special case. Windows XP Updates will last for 18 years, 2001-2019.

i dont have the link right here, but i remember reading something a while back about how the sale of OS licenses to consumers is such a small drop in the bucket to MS, that it is hardly even worth them doing it. they get their money from selling OS licenses to the OEM's, and from Corporate support, consumer upgrades have not been a significant source of revenue since the 1990's

I don't know what that means and I would appreciate it if someone can explain things in a language a ten year old can understand. Because here's what I mean:

The official Microsoft Support Lifecycle web page is the one and only source of what really matters, which is the last day we can click on Windows Update and actually get a security update for any version of Windows. When that date comes - no more security updates unless you install a new operating system, not a service pack or an incremental version update but a whole different version of Windows that has nothing to do with the previous one.

They listed a 2025 date for Windows 10 and a 2023 date for Windows 8.

In case of Windows 8, when that 2023 date comes - NO MORE WINDOWS 8 UPDATES, period.
So therefore in case of Windows 10, when that 2025 date comes, no more Windows 10 updates...

Why and how is that statement incorrect as of today?

That statement is not incorrect as of today. What the future will tell is exactly how the marketing of the next OS will proceed. It is probably safe to assume that this new OS is already in the works, so whether it is called Windows 10.x , Windows 11/12 or some other garbage, the final release product will ultimately be whatever M$ thinks will pad their wallets the most. All of this may be obvious but still worth mentioning :)

The schedule for the new OS can/will be changed based on the success of Win10. We have seen that Microsoft will sit back on their laurels if they have a popular OS (WinXP) and will unapologetically rush to correct unpopular OS (Win Vista/8). I see no reason to believe that Win10 will break with that pattern. Windows 10 as we know it will end in 2025 and the new OS based on all the marketing and telemetry will be released. To me the question is not what will it be called or what improvements/detriments will it hold, but how will it be sold.

You are completely correct about the schedule for the new Operating System, however the thread point is that there is a date after which current OS will get no updates, as you yourself noted too.

We somehow thought that Windows 10 is "forever" - that Win10 is different from Win8 in that regard. And it isn't.
It's 2023 lights out for Win 8 and 2025 lights out for Win10. That's the point that people still don't know about out there, that's why this thread is newsworthy.

It seems to me that Microsoft is, instead of being true to originality and diversity, slipping more and more towards Apple's design scheme. OS X has an app store, Windows has an app store. Windows 8 and 10 have been about the whole tiles and icons thing, making it seem more like a phone OS adjusted to fit a computer. I've seen OS X, and that's what that looks like to me! iOS adjusted to fit a desktop! I wouldn't be surprised, if in 10-20 years, you see in the news "The business deal of the century! Apple and Microsoft agree to merge their sales lines!".

I think the only reason Linux wouldn't suffer that is because Linux doesn't belong to any sole person. It's a community built OS and doesn't fall under anyone's ownership. And if Apple or Microsoft wanted to buy the rights to Linux, they'd have to pay every single person that ever contributed majorly to the project. Plus, 'Linux' itself is just the core. There are so many distributions that take it in a different direction, there's no way to completely buy it!

I just hope with this more OS X like path Windows is going down, that Microsoft doesn't try to shut down or absorb the manufacturers. Could you imagine a world where you can no longer hop onto Newegg and buy the parts to build a computer yourself?

It seems to me that Microsoft is, instead of being true to originality and diversity, slipping more and more towards Apple's design scheme. OS X has an app store, Windows has an app store. Windows 8 and 10 have been about the whole tiles and icons thing, making it seem more like a phone OS adjusted to fit a computer. I've seen OS X, and that's what that looks like to me! iOS adjusted to fit a desktop! I wouldn't be surprised, if in 10-20 years, you see in the news "The business deal of the century! Apple and Microsoft agree to merge their sales lines!".

I think the only reason Linux wouldn't suffer that is because Linux doesn't belong to any sole person. It's a community built OS and doesn't fall under anyone's ownership. And if Apple or Microsoft wanted to buy the rights to Linux, they'd have to pay every single person that ever contributed majorly to the project. Plus, 'Linux' itself is just the core. There are so many distributions that take it in a different direction, there's no way to completely buy it!

I just hope with this more OS X like path Windows is going down, that Microsoft doesn't try to shut down or absorb the manufacturers. Could you imagine a world where you can no longer hop onto Newegg and buy the parts to build a computer yourself?

:rofl:

OS X is not a phone OS adjusted to fit a computer.

Yes it is they just stretch it out to fit my 27" screen.:rofl:

Coming from a person that thinks iPads are glorified oversized phones I don't care much for iPads. They are over priced I got an Early 2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" with 2.7GB i5, 128GB PCIe SSD, 8GB RAM for $1100. I realize that seems expensive but in terms of ultra books it is darn near perfect. A 128GB iPad was less then $100 below the price of the MacBook. It may be able to game better then the MacBook but that is irrelevant when I cart around my PC with me on work trips within driving distance and my Xbox One for trips too far to drive. They didn't even bother to do much with the space.

I guess OS X has been developing some iOS features like the notifications and the launch pad but it still is very much a desktop OS. OS X looks amazing on the 5K iMac. Super sharp beyond words.

what we have seen from Microsoft speaks for its self... its hard to tell if they will consume the captive earth man or just enslave us all.. but I for one welcome our Computer Overlords and like to reminde them that as a avid computer user, i will do my part in rounding up others to do your bidding....

Back