• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WHY ME!? 8800GTX Yields Artifacts & Only 3800 3dmarks [pic]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Herr Rogers

How frustrating! It's like it took a 180 degree turn one day. With the rig in my signature, I get less than 20 fps in the first scene of 3dmark06 WITH artifacts. When I first got my computer built I ran 3dmark06 to do a quick "test" and I remember fps figures MUUUUUUUCH greater than this. Every game I play has artifacts and my GPU temp never reaches above 70C. What exactly are the symptoms of a dead graphics card? I just ran 3dmark06 and got ONLY 3883 MARKS, which put me on THE VERY BOTTOM out of all the other systems compared to mine; the highest receiving 15343. More than 3x my score :( RMA video card?

CPU slightly overclocked & RAM slightly underclocked.

Prime95, Orthos, and Superpi all run without errors. I'm going to run memtest all night tonight...after I cry myself to sleep.

Here's a lil sample of my artifacts.

Oh yeah, and I spilled a monster energy on my keyboard today. and my ctrl key is all sticky :(

artifactsxh8.jpg

Last edited:
Eeck.

I'd say thats some type of heat issue or driver problem. Have you tried to uninstall drivers and clean it before reinstalling?

*cough* shoulda gotten a 8800gts *cough* :beer: ya i score right around 10k in 3dmark06 with my gts so theres definetly something wrong... use driver cleaner and update to the latest driver ... came out jan 10th.

I had some problems with 8800gtx driver and onboard audio on p5b deluxe. The onboard audio was only enabled in bios and everytime I installed driver it would artifact.

nd4spdbh2 said:
*cough* shoulda gotten a 8800gts *cough* :beer: ya i score right around 10k in 3dmark06

Yeh , I get about 9k in 06 and have yet to have a single problem with my GTS . :D

Wonder whats "really" up with all the GTX's problems I keep reading about .

stereo555 said:
Yeh , I get about 9k in 06 and have yet to have a single problem with my GTS . :D

Wonder whats "really" up with all the GTX's problems I keep reading about .

idunno but i can oc my gts way above gtx specs without even trying having great temps on stock cooling without any artifacts.

nd4spdbh2 said:
idunno but i can oc my gts way above gtx specs without even trying having great temps on stock cooling without any artifacts.

To bad you can't unlock those extra shader units though that the GTX has.

I have the same problem with my 2x BFG 8800 GTX. I scored 5445 on 3DMark06. I scored 10159 on 3DMark 05. This is are just quick benchmarks i wanted to run before i finish putting everything together. Tomorrow i'll do the real tests when i get my new ram and raptors.

disabled onboard audio in the BIOS and no help. I don't think the card is overheating because it doesn't even get close to 70C, and I believe the temperature when it starts to really overheat is somewhere around 80C. Time to RMA... It just seems weird that the card would die out of nowhere. It was fine at one point.

deathman20 said:
To bad you can't unlock those extra shader units though that the GTX has.

i know how sweet would that be... get a gts... unlock the extra 4rop's and 32 sp's and oc it and have a gtx...minus the extra memory bandwidth but a lil more ocage on the ram would yeild the same bandwidth... does n e one know if thoes stream processors are physically not there / laser cut or are they just somehow differently locked than say the original 6800gs's

Solution FOUND! THANK DEEPSKY! It turned out I was running my video card at x1 instead of x16. To check what link width you're running at, go to the mainboard tab in CPU-Z and check to see what "link width" you're running at. Mine was running at x1, but the maximum supported was x16. It seems that the only way to fix this was set your Northbus Vcore (NB Vcore) to 1.45, no higher, and set your SB Vcore to 1.6. Check cpu-z again and it should have jumped up to x16. Deepsky is my hero, I want to buy him a life supply of pizzas!

here is a link to deepsky's thread: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=495844

deepsky I <3 YOU!

Herr Rogers said:
Solution FOUND! THANK DEEPSKY! It turned out I was running my video card at x1 instead of x16. To check what link width you're running at, go to the mainboard tab in CPU-Z and check to see what "link width" you're running at. Mine was running at x1, but the maximum supported was x16. It seems that the only way to fix this was set your Northbus Vcore (NB Vcore) to 1.45, no higher, and set your SB Vcore to 1.6. Check cpu-z again and it should have jumped up to x16. Deepsky is my hero, I want to buy him a life supply of pizzas!

here is a link to deepsky's thread: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=495844

deepsky I <3 YOU!

lol pizzas :) If I were a Teenage Ninja Turtle I"d be in heaven. Glad you got your 600 dollar card working like it should.

Glad ur gard is working. I yet have to fix mine. I disabled the audio from my card then uninstalled nvidia driver for gpu, then restarted then cleaned it up with driver cleaner, rebooted, reinstalled driver, rebooted, ran 3dmark06 and scored improved to 8206, but still not good enough. I have to see what is happened. I mess around with the vcore and see whats going on.

I figured out my problem. I think. My problem is the motherboard. This f***ing motherboard sucks. I tried installed Asus Update on it, and it said No Asus Motherboard Installed. I was like WTF. Then after i cleanered the CMOS, the system won't boot anymore. I wanted to reinstalled windows again and see if the No Motherboard problem would be fixed, because i thought some of the *.dll might have been messed up. Thats it, im gunna RMA this board. I think i might just buy another board. EVGA i guess.

Back