• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wife's build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OnceSaved

Ok, so I posted in the welcome mat but assume I won't get full convos about it there so I'll talk here.
My wife wants to get into computer gaming with me (which I am pumped about). So now I get to build her a rig and figured what better time to dive into custom loop water cooling.

Only things set in stone are the case and mobo (which will limit cpu choices onviously)
Case: corsair carbide series spec-03
Mobo: msi z97 gaming 5

I picked them up lightly used for a steal along with a corsair k65 rgb keyboard.
I already removed the hdd rack as I plan on doing ssd, sshd hard drives and will come up with a mounting bracket that takes up less room.
Originally was looking into the xspc raystorm 750 full kit with the 240 rad but read reviews that the pump craps out all the time and xspc warranties are non existent.... so I started looking into piecing together my own kit but quickly realized I'd be looking at $300+ with a d5 pump, raystorm block, and all the other components. So I began to look at the eBay China specials... which probably won't be even as good as the xspc 750.

So long story short, here's my first question- is there a non d5 pump that's worth while and not ~$100 for just the pump?

Oncesaved, do you need help picking out the rest of the components or just interested in the Custom loop? Where will you be shopping for parts, if you're in the states Performance Pcs has D5 pumps for about $80.00. Another option is to get an expandable kit such as the Swiftech H220X.

Have a look at the new kits from Swiftech. They have everything and best of all, they come with a nice premium DDC pump.

Let us know if you're truly on a tight budget. Worst comes to worse, assuming you've done your research and understand the maintenance involved in maintaining a loop, you choose a sealed AIO to save you the headaches, budget and still be part of liquid cooling but obviously, not like a custom loop.

I am from the states.
I am very price conscious and have a hard time justifying large prices without knowing it's a must. As far as shopping locations it can range from websites such as frozencpu xoxide etc (don't know of any others yet) to the microcenter an hour and a half from me to ebay retailers and sellers. I know the pump is really the only thing everyone recommends buying new so I'm just wanting to find the best bang for the buck in longevity.

- - - Updated - - -

Gtxjack I am aware of the maintenance aspect of a custom loop and that doesn't bother me as I'll be doing soft hose and distilled water for this build so cost will be low.

Do you need help with the rest of the setup or just the H2O loop?

Budget for the whole setup?

Sorry for the late reply, not used to forum life haha.

Mandrake I have pretty everything picked out
Intel pentium g3258
R7 380 4gb
240gb ssd
550w or 650w bitfenix fury psu
8gb ram (whatever is at a good price)
And I already have corsair spec-03
Msi z97 gaming 5 mobo

I just really want to build a good loop but not spend more than "I have to" haha

- - - Updated - - -

And the build will be pieced together so an overall budget I'd like to keep at or under 600~ so far spent 60 on the case and mobo so I have roughly 550 for the cpu gpu psu ram ssd and watercooling

Its not worth building a custom loop for those components imho.

I would advise on just grabbing a sealed AIO like a H60/H80. You could also do the same for the GPU if you really wanted to go the extra stretch as well.

Sorry for the late reply, not used to forum life haha.

Mandrake I have pretty everything picked out
Intel pentium g3258
R7 380 4gb
240gb ssd
550w or 650w bitfenix fury psu
8gb ram (whatever is at a good price)
And I already have corsair spec-03
Msi z97 gaming 5 mobo

I just really want to build a good loop but not spend more than "I have to" haha

- - - Updated - - -

And the build will be pieced together so an overall budget I'd like to keep at or under 600~ so far spent 60 on the case and mobo so I have roughly 550 for the cpu gpu psu ram ssd and watercooling
Ok no worries. I agree with GTXJB, you really don't need to watercool that setup. That g3258 isn't a high wattage chip and you could easily Oc one on a good air heatsink. I do get if you want to just build one for aesthetics, if that is the case and you're only planning on cooling the Cpu. A 120mm rad will cool that chip, the pump flat-6 linked, a quality Cpu block and I prefer 1/2 Id x 3/4" Od tubing myself because I find the thicker side wall tends to kink less when making bends.

I know it's not "worth" it but I also will never have the budget to build an i7 3gpu monster to "justify" a custom loop. This is more for looks and I want to see 5ghz from the g3258

A custom loop is a hobby, and an expensive one at that. Best to only get into one if you have the discretionary income to waste. In this case, I would definitely get an unlocked i5 and 212 evo for gaming before I invested in a custom loop. If there is any money leftover put it into the gpu.

$550 just isn't enough money to put together a good gaming rig and do a fully custom loop.

What are you gaming on currently? This us probably a goid chance to upgrade the primary rig and then pass parts down to the second computer you are building for her.

Just my 2 cents, but if you have not already started buying your components you may be better served by an i3 our an i5 instead of the g3258 and just using an air cooler like the 212 evo. I have the g3258 and even overclocked I find it lacking in some of the newer games.

- - - Updated - - -

You will probably only see 4.6 ghz on water unless you are lucky or pushing some high voltages.

So the concensus is to not do a custom loop on a g3258. You guys are killing my vibe lol. But in all reality I'm up in the air about it. I've done air cooled and I've done a couple aio but wanted to try my hands at water cooling. Intel chips are very pricy compared to amd(much better quality though) and to even go to an i3 I'm up over $100 and still dual core. 4690k I'm looking at $200 or so and then am I really doing it justice with an air cooler?
I like to squeeze every ounce of performance out of a part as I can and if I air cooled a 4690k I'm going to feel almost cheated. That's why I was thinking watercooling the g3258 I could get everything out of it and still be within $50~ of the same budget as the air cooled i5. Maybe it's the wrong way to think

Gaming, get an i5 and GTX 950 to get her started. It'll be an awesome machine for 1080p without breaking the bank.

Gaming, get an i5 and GTX 950 to get her started. It'll be an awesome machine for 1080p without breaking the bank.

+1

You could even buy some used gear that would destroy the setup you're trying to build brand new but that's up to you OP. I would steer away from custom water cooling as tempting as it is and it really is fun. I would just save up for that after you build a decent gaming rig.

I know it's not "worth" it but I also will never have the budget to build an i7 3gpu monster to "justify" a custom loop. This is more for looks and I want to see 5ghz from the g3258
Totally get it and if that's the direction you want to go well help. That said I agree with Atminside i5 GTX 950 is a better place to spend the money.

If you see not against waiting on the water loop you can pick pieces up here and there pretty cheap either from the classifieds or on eBay.

In the meantime you can game on the i5

You will be able to get a lot out of the i5 on a 212 evo. Won't be every last little bit it has to give, but it will enough to make it fun.

For most people OCing is about getting the most performance they can get. It doesn't really make sense to spend hundreds on a custom loop for a Pentium that even at maximum tilt still won't hold a candle to an i5.

You all are making excellent points.. and I will probably end up with an i5 4690k with either a hyper 212 evo or a corsair aio of some sort.
I do appreciate all the help.
This is how my last build went.. I wanted to do a loop and looked up parts and then talked myself out of it.

Back