• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will I go far ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

musawi

Will I go far with this setup and can I have any suggestions?

MSI "Neo2-PFISR " i865PE Motherboard
OCZ Enhanced Latency Series Dual Channel 184 Pin 512MB( 256MBx2) DDR PC-4200
ZALMAN CNPS7000A-Cu Pure Copper CPU Cooler
About 200 CFM airflow in the case
Artic Silver 5
420W Power Supply
And finally..533 Mhz 2.4 Ghz :bang head

About what would be the limit for this 2.4Ghz processer to be overclocked at?

Last edited:
Depends on a lot of things... stepping of the CPU, how new it is, whether it's a Northwood or Prescott CPU, and of course luck. You got pretty good components. Give it a try.

Here you go, the entire specs of the processer
And Im 70% its a northwood.

Attachments

• intel processer specs.JPG
    intel processer specs.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 152
well its p4....OF COURSE IT SUX :p just kidding :D good idea though getting ocz must applaud :clap: i say save up and get the new 3.0c p4's that run at 800mhz fsb. just what i would do. :D

The problem is I dont have more money to spend, Im just a student.
I am trying to use my processer to its full potential if its possible, now can some one please tell me about how far can I go ?

There's really no guarantee the chip will definitely hit certain number. Like batboy said, it depends on stepping, northwood/prescott core, etc. One way to find out is to slowly increase your fsb, like in increments of 5mhz, and test stability with prime95 or other cpu burn-in tools. You should also increase the vcore to 1.575v which will helps overclock a little better.

Hope this helps.

I see, but is it worth overclocking this processer or should I just leave it the way it is ?

It's always worth it to oc the processor :D . Literally though, with your setup....even with that processor ( it's not the best for oc'ing, but it's far from the worst...) you should be able to get a decent overclock. If you want to check what other people are getting on your processor, go to this website and select your cpu from the list. If you can find your S-code ( like SL6WF for example, I think it's on the box) and then look at the list, you can find what oc you can expect with your cooling and processor.

Looking at the list, it looks like you can get a decent oc on that processor.... more than I thought. If you're processor is a good stepping I would expect to get around 3.0 or 3.2 gigs out of it.... this is just a guess though.

Good Luck and Welcome to the Forums!!!

BTW, you picked the best mobo brand ;)

I can't see the attachment behind this blasted firewall. If it has 512k cache, it's a Northwood and if it has 1m cache it's a Prescott. If it's a Northwood and if the default vcore is 1.5v, then it's a B0 stepping which averages 2.6 to 2.8 gig. If it's a Northwood and if the default vcore is 1.525v, then it's a C1 or D1 stepping which averages 2.8 to 3.4 gig. The C1 a little less, the D1 a little more. Run CPU-Z to tell what stepping. Yes, it's worth overclocking. Look at this link below. I wrote it for a guy that has a different CPU and mobo, but if you take that into account, the rest should give you some beginners advice how to get started.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=317733

I have just heard from some guy that I can't run in dual mode with a 533 Mhz Bus processer? is this true ?

I can't see why DC wouldn't work with a B .... it worked with my A and my C. Of course, I could be wrong ( wouldn't be the first time ;) ) so I'll let the other guys give the final word on it.

Alright, It looks like im gonna get my money 2morow, and I will order it then, because Im looking not to change the voltages and get a decent overclock, and for the PC to be rock stable.

Will future processers from Intel will be running on the 478 socket or the LGA775.

Last edited:
batboy said:
I can't see the attachment behind this blasted firewall. If it has 512k cache, it's a Northwood and if it has 1m cache it's a Prescott. If it's a Northwood and if the default vcore is 1.5v, then it's a B0 stepping which averages 2.6 to 2.8 gig. If it's a Northwood and if the default vcore is 1.525v, then it's a C1 or D1 stepping which averages 2.8 to 3.4 gig. The C1 a little less, the D1 a little more. Run CPU-Z to tell what stepping. Yes, it's worth overclocking. Look at this link below. I wrote it for a guy that has a different CPU and mobo, but if you take that into account, the rest should give you some beginners advice how to get started.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=317733

I'm 100% sure it's a Northwood, since "B" follows his clock frequency ;)

Will future processers from Intel will be running on the 478 socket or the LGA775

All future performance Intel CPUs are for LGA775. That said, I would buy 478s now because they're going to be a good value. Your videocard is much more important in gaming.

I can't see why DC wouldn't work with a B .... it worked with my A and my C. Of course, I could be wrong ( wouldn't be the first time ) so I'll let the other guys give the final word on it.

Dual channel is CPU-independent except for A64/Opterons/FXen. Your motherboard seems to be the limiting factor.

Good luck, have fun :cool:

Can I get a decent clock without playing with the voltages and for the PC to be stable, cause Im looking for this set to be used a lot for like a year until I get another system, prefferably those new P4's 4.0 Ghz?

I'm confused. Do you already have the CPU? Or you getting some kind of good deal on these components? Because if you are buying this stuff new, I'd get an Abit AI7 and a 2.8C or 3.0C.

or even a good 2.4C if you want to save some money.... which you'd probably want to do if you're planning on getting a 4.0 in a year.

Wasn't there an article on how the new Pentiums will be FSB locked as well? Or will that not be implemented for a while? At any rate, I wouldn't spend a whole bunch of money if you're going to get a s775 board w/ DDR2 and a faster processor in a year.

I have a 2.4 Ghz processer and I dont want to spend more on any other processer, so what Im looking for is getting PC4200 RAM but there isn't a lot of boards that support that RAM, and there isnt one that supports LGA775, so what I am scared of is buying all these stuff and then the RAM is useless cause later there isnt any board that supports this RAM. So thats the thing, should I buy this RAM or should I get PC3200 1GB RAM that ofcourse is supported by a lot of boards. I dont know please help me out. I want u guys to tell me what should I buy and stuff, or should I just wait.

Back