• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

will my mobo run 8800 9200 9600 hmz ok?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pimpanther

its an asus m3a32-mvp and im upgrading to an and phenom 2 940 be.i want 1066 ram but saw these others and wondered as il be oc the cpu if its a good choice to buy some 9200mhz or 96.can anyone help put me in picture with this pls.thanks.

When you post a message go to "Additional Options" at the bottom and "Mannage Attachments". You will likely have to downsize your pictures as there is a size limit on each attachment. You can get free utilities off the net to downsize pics. For instance, there is: PIXresizer.

Also, realize that your motheboard uses DDR2 not DDR3 memory so when you are looking at memory options stick to DDR2. As long as you adhere to that rule your board will be compatible with whatever you buy. It will not be able to operate at the full speed of the memory if it is rated faster than 1066 but it certainly will work with it. You'll pay more for the faster stuff, however. The advantage of faster memory speed rating is that it has more overclocking headroom, i.e., it can be pushed further. Since your CPU is the black edition I would not bother with paying more money to get faster than 1066 memory. Just overclock using the CPU multiplier rather than the memory bus. You will see very little performance increase when overclocking with the memory bus and it is also a much more complicated process.

Last edited:
Uhhh, I'm confused. What component is it you want running 8800 MHz???
I have an M3A32-MVP motherboard with a 940BE but I don't know of anything on it that runs 8800 MHz or anything even close to that speed ... :shrug:

The speeds are not 8800, 9200 and 9600 Megahertz but that is the "data speed or "pc rating" of hte RAM.

PC8800 runs at 1100 MHz Effective (550MHz actual) 9600 is 1200 MHZ effective (600 MHZ actual)

The reason for the difference between the two is laziness and marketing.

The PC rating was developed to show the bandwidth of a stick of RAM. It became typical to just divide this number by 8 to get the frequency that the RAM was running at.

With DDR it can process twice as much data per clock cycle. So DDR running 200 MHz would get a PC3200, and eventually referred to as 400 MHz RAM :s

As for what is best, there are a couple of RAM recommendations thread for AMD, I am no expert in memory, but generally you want tighter timings and lower voltage. the new GSkill EVO sticks look AMAZING.

(PC3-12800 7-7-7 at 1.35v!!) (that's 1600 MHz effective)

Back