• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob first time trying overclocking!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
After reviewing this picture below, I found that I don't like the Cpu voltage read outs in HWMonitor.

Min is 1.248v - Current at 1.320v and Max used by Cpu is 1.416v.

That's pretty drastic.

Also in addition to that, the 12v + reading is only 8.112v and battery reading is only 1.668v on that should be over 3.0v closer to 3.1 - 3.3v.

It wouldn't hurt to test the PSU with a Multimeter.

Attachments

• CPUID.png
    CPUID.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 37
It's not uncommon for HWMonitor to give a flaky reading for the 12v+ rail. I wouldn't take that one seriously. If the 12v+ reading was actually that low it would not boot at all.

And personally, I do not see anything troubling about the vcore range between current and max. He might do well to tinker with the LLC, though.

It's not uncommon for HWMonitor to give a flaky reading for the 12v+ rail. I wouldn't take that one seriously. If the 12v+ reading was actually that low it would not boot at all.

And personally, I do not see anything troubling about the vcore range between current and max. He might do well to tinker with the LLC, though.

Duely noted.. Although I can't remember HWMonitor doing this on many of my systems right now looking at retro AMD rig.... looks like....

________Current / Min / Max__________
Cpu vcore 1.408 / 1.392 / 1.440v <--LLC from loading set +3%

3.3v reads 3.280 / 3.248 / 3.312v

+5v reads 6.828 / 6.828 / 6.828

+12v reads 12.416 / 12.288 / 12.544v EDIT- this one reads about exactly as my multi-meter reads. I paid good $$ for it, even has temp probes and sheet

-12v reads -6.208 / -6.272 / -6.144 <--never see this one look right....

VBAT reads 3.312 / 3.312 / 3.312v

Now to better compare numbers like this to his system, I'd need to fire up my M5A78L board, BUT it's not on the bench, the s939 stuff is ATM....

Not that it's an issue to set it up, I'd rather a PSU get tested Justin Case, you know that guy!

PSU: Cooler Master E-600W

Well, in BIOS 12v is around 12.1, 5v is about 5.02 and 3.3v is about 3.31... It seems OK, but I think I will ask a friend of mine to come over with the multimeter just to ensure everything is fine.

Well, in BIOS 12v is around 12.1, 5v is about 5.02 and 3.3v is about 3.31... It seems OK, but I think I will ask a friend of mine to come over with the multimeter just to ensure everything is fine.

Ah good ol' bios readouts. Good.

You want to put the PC on as much full load as possible and test the PSU. You can load Cpu with Prime95 and the GPU with Furmark.

Yes test with OC settings against stock.

But it is important to keep that VRM package area as cool as you can while you load your PC up.

The VRMs will thermal throttle you. I've never had this happen even runing FX-8320/8350 on a similar board with liquid cooling, but I think I had fans all over that motherboard lol. I joke not. One on the NB, VRM package and one on the backside of the liquid cooled GTX 480 or w/e VGA I was using at the time the 480 was one of them.

Ah good ol' bios readouts. Good.

You want to put the PC on as much full load as possible and test the PSU. You can load Cpu with Prime95 and the GPU with Furmark.

Yes test with OC settings against stock.

But it is important to keep that VRM package area as cool as you can while you load your PC up.

The VRMs will thermal throttle you. I've never had this happen even runing FX-8320/8350 on a similar board with liquid cooling, but I think I had fans all over that motherboard lol. I joke not. One on the NB, VRM package and one on the backside of the liquid cooled GTX 480 or w/e VGA I was using at the time the 480 was one of them.

That's a lot of fans :D As I said before, I don't want to play with the CPU frequencies and voltages up until I test everything is running fine. If you think the PSU might be unreliable, I'm a-OK to test it.

BTW, I haven't tested with a multimeter yet, but I did run a Prime95 (3 hours) and Furmark test (15 min stress test I think it was), got everything running no problem. Just for the record ;)

BTW, I haven't tested with a multimeter yet, but I did run a Prime95 (3 hours) and Furmark test (15 min stress test I think it was), got everything running no problem. Just for the record ;)

Good. Very glad to hear that. It's a good motherboard, some people are deceived by the 4+1 VRM package. Cooling will matter the most in your case being you have a rock solid Asus motherboard.

Back