• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will the memories work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iclock

Registered
Hi there,

I have MUSHKIN 997092 8GB (2X4GB) DDR3 PC3-19200 2400MHZ BLACKLINE SERIES DUAL CHANNEL KIT from 2014
and now i need to expand the memory size, but i can't find the same memory...

I did find this one: Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR3 16GB DDR3 2400MHz memory module, for 133euros

If i buy that memory will the 2 memories work together?

Probably both will work but somehow I doubt that at 2400. Standard SPD profiles will be about the same but it's 1333-1600. I guess no one will guarantee that so you have to check it yourself. Maybe ask store if you can send it back if it won't work ?

You are saying that they might not run at 2400mhz but at 1333-1600mhz?

That's what he's saying. The sticks will be very different and not very likely will run XMP and may not run to gether at all. That's why he suggested asking if you can return them before you buy them.
Or run the 16 GB and sell the 8 GB sticks

I see...

I can't send them back if something goes wrong

Has anyone of you done the same and they memories worked?

There is high chance it will work if you use lower capacity memory in first slots. Motherboards usually read info from 1st slot and set timings based on that info. So if it won't work using lower capacity modules in first slots then switch to higher capacity as they usually have more relaxed sub timings.
So again, I don't think that anyone will guarantee it will work but even if you won't be able to set 2400 then lower frequency at tighter timings should give similar results.

If you do buy the memory, I would make sure you use the same capacity per dual channel slots.

So, i did message Muskin also and they replied the following:

Hi Nickos,

The 997092F kit is the same as your original 2x4GB kit(997092) the only difference is the newer 997092F kit has the newer Frostbyte heat sink. otherwise they are the same.

All memory in a system should be the same, the same frequency, timings and size, if you add a 16GB kit(2x8GB) you could have issues try to get it to work 100% with the 2x4GB kit.
If you want to increase the total amount of memory in the system I would suggest going to the 997092F kit or replace the current memory with a 2x8GB kit.

Thanks
Sean

what do you think about their reply?

So, i did message Muskin also and they replied the following:

Hi Nickos,

The 997092F kit is the same as your original 2x4GB kit(997092) the only difference is the newer 997092F kit has the newer Frostbyte heat sink. otherwise they are the same.

All memory in a system should be the same, the same frequency, timings and size, if you add a 16GB kit(2x8GB) you could have issues try to get it to work 100% with the 2x4GB kit.
If you want to increase the total amount of memory in the system I would suggest going to the 997092F kit or replace the current memory with a 2x8GB kit.

Thanks
Sean

what do you think about their reply?

I don't believe that IC and memory profile are the same just because of how IC are changing over months/years. Last generation had more relaxed timings and was designed on higher capacity modules. If your memory kit is single rank ( memory chips on one side of the PCB ) and you buy dual rank kit ( so on both sides of the PCB ) then there is a chance it will be on similar IC. However if you already have dual rank kit then new one will be for sure on a different IC.

It doesn't change much. You have no big choice so order whatever seems close to your specification and check how it works.

I did order the memories and they will be here in like 10 days max,

i will update you guys on how it went

thanks a lot

Today they called me and said that the memories are not available...

I will try see if i can find them from somewhere else

If anybody has to recommend any other memory of 16G and greater that it might working better i would highly appreciate it

Back