• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this System Build ROCK? and OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

0SER

Registered
wat a nice system!! 0SER.

I think, im gonna build a new rig like yrs too, but i have no idea how to deal the watercooling part, cuz i have never done it b4. Now I wanna try it out, could you post some picture, or tutorial on building yr watercooling part. if you can record a litlle movie for it much be better..

Thanks

This will be my first watercooling rig also. My old(current) rig is an Ideq 200T small form factor computer by Biostar. I built it with 2x512 sticks of Corsair XMS 3200, a P4 2.6c, had a 9800np, just got an x800xl(which I'm sending back, because it's agp not pci-e). That's about it, it's so small it's just got 2 harddrives and a dvd/cd burner. I did paint it, if you want a pic of it I can take one later.

With this new system, I think I'm going to mount the radiator(core) inside in the front of the case, with a push-pull setup with those two aluminum fans. Any more comments on the water cooling things would be appreciated. Also, thank you for the replies!

0SER

wow thats alot like my rig, you are getting the shrouds for the radiator right? i here 2 fans don't help that much, those aluminum fans don't push that much air, i'd get a higher CFM fan or get a super high CFM one put a fan controller on it, and about the winchestor, i'd wait a bout 2 weeks and get the Venice instead, it will be the same price,

How many cfm would be best?
I don't want the computer to be REALLY loud, but I can tolerate some noise.

My questions about that Pro120 core and the shroud is:
If you get a single shroud, how do you mount it? That will allow for one 120mm fan, but then what about the other side? Do you have to get two shrouds so that you can mount the other side to something?

I read the stats of those fans on the D-Tek website and they looked good to me, unless they are false. "125×125×25mm Current: 0.38A Airflow: 79.14 CFM Speed: 2000 RPM Noise (dB): 30 dBA" If it's almost 80 cfm at 30 dBA, then that's pretty good isn't it?

About the Winchester. People have been waiting for quite a while for the Venice to come out. Everybody says just wait a little longer, and it'll be a week or two, but it's been a few weeks since they said this. How much better would my setup be with a Venice over a Winchester? Do you think that they will have enough Venice chips on the market to get a decent price and will there be enough to get one when they do come out?

Last edited:
Xenocide said:
get a lian li case and you will be happy.

thermaltake is crap

This case looks awesome and has the 120mm fans I need. Plus I think Lian Li cases are ugly and overpriced.

you need two shrouds for two fans, 2 fans will be louder than one, and like i mentioned early it doesn't increase performance by much maybe 1C, and don't follow the rated cfm and db too closely, fans can have high or low pitched noises, 38mm fans are more effective than 25mm for radiators, since the heatercore is fairly thick the higher the cfm the better, and since you can tolerate some noise then get a 35-40db fan, im partial to panaflos for the quality and the type of bearing used, i have the medium speed but am thinking about getting the high, there are many other good choices like delta, nmb, sanyo denki, yate loon, and papst

Venice chips will be able to OC alot higher than the winchestor, have a better memory controller, and support sse3, its definitly worth it to wait for it since i see you plan on OCing

i personally don't like TT products, as all they do is copy others ideas and make it with cheaper parts, they are more overpriced than lian li's imo, lian li's are worth the money, the build quality and attention to detail of TT products cannot compare to lian li

Last edited:
But have you seen any Lian Li's that look like the case I have chosen? I've also heard that Lians don't have much good in the way of airflow unless you mod them.

0SER said:
This case looks awesome and has the 120mm fans I need. Plus I think Lian Li cases are ugly and overpriced.
finally...someone who agrees with me, LL's are fug pugly and very expensive, gimme a cheap case or alot of sheet metal and my case will be cheaper and better than any LL out there, id say stick with the thermaltake, or if u got alot of cash to burn, get a ufo case, so big and sweet

0SER said:
But have you seen any Lian Li's that look like the case I have chosen? I've also heard that Lians don't have much good in the way of airflow unless you mod them.
yes i've seent he case you are talking about, why would you need good airflow if you are watercooling, lian li cases are perfect for water cooling

I want good airflow so that I can get the hot air out. Case temp seems to be very important for watercooling. Plus, I don't really like the blandness of Lian Li cases. I know they're high quality, but that doesn't really matter to me right now. I want a case that looks good (In my opinion) and does what I want, which this case does both, plus it's aluminum, which means lighter. This case will be better than any case I've used so far, so it's build quality will be better than what I've already used. As long as it doesn't fall apart, I'm okay with it.
So, do you think the watercooling portion of my setup will be up to par for a really good overclock? The most I've ever gotten out of my cheap setups is 200mhz stable. I would definitely hope for a lot more than this out of this setup.

bobmanfoo said:
yes i've seent he case you are talking about, why would you need good airflow if you are watercooling, lian li cases are perfect for water cooling

You know what! I just figured something out, if I get the Swiftech full kit and just add a vga block and change the radiator, it will cost less than buying it all seperate like I have. So, I ask all those who say putting the kit together seperately, how is it cheaper?

0SER said:
I want good airflow so that I can get the hot air out. Case temp seems to be very important for watercooling. Plus, I don't really like the blandness of Lian Li cases. I know they're high quality, but that doesn't really matter to me right now. I want a case that looks good (In my opinion) and does what I want, which this case does both, plus it's aluminum, which means lighter. This case will be better than any case I've used so far, so it's build quality will be better than what I've already used. As long as it doesn't fall apart, I'm okay with it.
So, do you think the watercooling portion of my setup will be up to par for a really good overclock? The most I've ever gotten out of my cheap setups is 200mhz stable. I would definitely hope for a lot more than this out of this setup.
watercooling only does so much, a64s don't really get hot so cooling doesn't help much for the ocing, it will help your video card OC more, everything looks good for the WCing stuff, but do you really want the res? id dump the res if possible, and also mod the mcp350 and get the heatercore with one 1/2" bard and one 3/8" barb, http://www.systemcooling.com/mcp350_mod-01.html

after reading yr post, and all stickie post over here, and view the wc component u posted above. I already figure out what i should do, but i still dont know : what is "Crazy PC Radiator Mounting Kit " for ? and how do we mount it..post some pic please...i really need help too.

If you click it, it's a link. I'm not sure after looking at it that it would be sufficient for holding the rad and 2 fans up. 1/2 inch with that mpc350 would be cool, I'll look into that, thanks for the link.

Back