• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will Win7 use 64gb ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nottinmatterz

Registered
If i upgrade from 32GB to 64GB will Windows 7 utilize all of that for caching my in use files and thus show improved performance?

I am video editing with large files

If i upgrade from 32GB to 64GB will Windows 7 utilize all of that for caching my in use files and thus show improved performance?

I am video editing with large files

If you are slapping the wall and getting low mem messages then yes. If not then no.

Which version of windows? Pro and above do 192 GB the others (home premium and home basic) do 16 and 8

You can go 64 then. I know I peg 16 from time to time and I have considered 24 but do you peg your 32? If not then it will do nothing for you.

encoding my cpu and gpu never reach 100% and usually not close

so i consider my hard drives the bottleneck and figure more ram would speed up encoding having the video files all load to ram

i'll have to run a test with a bigger project, but using a project with only a few 2-4GB files my ram was at 22GB of 32 used

EDIT:
just did a test saw the USED ram go up to about 28GB which I think is the limit i set in premiere to max RAM it can use. free is currently <3GB, it has a lot set to standby

so i think more ram would be used in instances like this and if not i could use it for RAMCACHE

Last edited:
Windows 7 architecture makes use of available RAM differently than say, Windows XP. Windows 7 releases RAM as needed.

Your bottleneck may be addressed differently, what are your system specs, do you have an SSD, which generation SSD is it?

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT with 120mm Scythe S-Flex F fan
nVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti PNY XLR8 1GB GDDR5 822MHz Core Clock
ASUS ATI Radeon HD 5450 [used for HDMI HD sound only]
OCZ Agility 3 180GB SSD
Asus Xonar DX sound card
Antec nine hundred case, two front 120mm fans, one back 120mm Fan, one top 200mm fan
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W

Last edited:
Windows 7 architecture makes use of available RAM differently than say, Windows XP. Windows 7 releases RAM as needed.

Your bottleneck may be addressed differently, what are your system specs, do you have an SSD, which generation SSD is it?

3930k with gtx 680 4gb so my rig is about top of the line

ssd for main drive mushkin deluxe chronos 240gig

2x in raid 0 for the large video files

eventually when ssd price is down I'll get large SSD's and a mobo with sata3 to hose the files for edit but im not sure it matters more than the first import where it parses or converts the video files, after that they should be loaded in ram I'd think. $300 more ram is cheaper than $700 for 2x480GB ssd's which couldn't even house all my data

240GB SSD is now $138 after rebate:
http://frys-electronics-ads.com/ads/2012/09/14/58988/Corsair-240GB-

Are you working with a TB worth of data at any one single time? I store the finished product on mechanical HD but use SSDs for video project work.

I would post the question regarding how much of a performance increase would more RAM give you in the RAM section of the forums then come back here and post if it would give you more of a performance boost than SSD, which I think would help you moreso than extraordinarily large amount of RAM like that.

240GB SSD is now $138 after rebate:
http://frys-electronics-ads.com/ads/2012/09/14/58988/Corsair-240GB-

Are you working with a TB worth of data at any one single time? I store the finished product on mechanical HD but use SSDs for video project work.

I would post the question regarding how much of a performance increase would more RAM give you in the RAM section of the forums then come back here and post if it would give you more of a performance boost than SSD, which I think would help you moreso than extraordinarily large amount of RAM like that.

if i had time id do all the tests to figure which got me best performanace. actually i have moved source files onto ssd and it doesn't improve encode performance of course i need more than 1 ssd. and x79 boards just have 2 onboard sata3...would you recommend a vertex 4 for a 60gb drive just to host source project files?

eventually i just want the best of the best everything

Back