• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 7 keeps reconnecting my mouse

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sydney

This is getting very annoying, it started happening a while ago, I figured it was a messed up OS, so I formated my windows partition, but I still have this problem.
Every now and then the mouse disconnects for 3 seconds then reconnects. This only occurs in Windows, not on my Linux install. Any suggestions?

It sounds like a driver issue. Maybe try a driver pack from the manufacturer, or if it's a generic mouse try a driver from one of MS's basic mice(the name's eluding me atm; Intellipoint?).

Is your chipset driver up to date? Maybe Win7's having issues with the USB. Do you have other USB devices for comparison?

Yep, tried other USB port, all my other USB drives work perfectly fine, keyboard, bluetooth, gamepad, external HD, joystick.

I didn't have this problem with W7 earlier, that's the strangest part, and as I said, this problem does never occur in Linux.

Go into advanced power settings and look at the entry for USB, and turn off USB selective suspend if it's enabled.

the same thing happens to me with a MX518 which i think may be the same mouse, and sometimes it just goes nuts disconnecting and reconnecting until i unplug it and plug it back in.

the same thing happens to me with a MX518 which i think may be the same mouse, and sometimes it just goes nuts disconnecting and reconnecting until i unplug it and plug it back in.
Then why does this only occur in Windows?

I've already turned off allowing the computer to turn off device to power save.

don't know, maybe it's only noticed in windows because of the usb connect / disconnect sound. maybe them maybe the mouse is bad or maybe windows 7 does not like the mouse. who knows.

don't know, maybe it's only noticed in windows because of the usb connect / disconnect sound. maybe them maybe the mouse is bad or maybe windows 7 does not like the mouse. who knows.
Hmm, the sound thing might be plausible, but I never once noticed my mouse stop working in Linux all of a sudden, it happens frequently in Windows.

Maybe the mouse is dying, and Windows shuts down the mouse because of, say, overcurrent protection while Linux doesn't?

FWIW, I have a G5 and have been on the Win7 default drivers through RC and RTM without issue. Sounds like a problem in the mouse itself. Try wiggling the wire all around and see if that reproduces it. You could also try shaking the mouse to see if it's an internal connection. Just a couple things to try.

Wiggling the wire does NOTHING, it seems completely random when it happens. Happens when the mouse is just sitting there or when I am moving it around.

I had this problem a few years back under Vista -- the mouse eventually died and was to blame for the problem. Once the problem got really bad I found each time it became unresponsive I had to unplug/replug it to get it to work again. It was a logitec wireless something or other -- I went back to wired.

Wait...I thought Windows 7 was perfect....they should have you on one of those commercials.

And this contributes to helping Sydney in what fashion? :rolleyes: If you don't have anything to contribute to the problem or a suggestion or helpful advice, then it would be advisable for you to keep your comments to yourself. You can check your Anti-M$ attitude in at the door of this forum. I don't know if you are a M$ hater or what, but I get tired of attitudes such as yours in here and also when M$ fanboys go try posting drivel in the Alt OS forum too.

muddocktor

Sydney, sorry to have to step in and crap your thread a bit because of someone else posting threadcraps. :)

I hope you figure out the problem and that it isn't your mouse getting ready to croak.

mudd

Just did a quick Google search and seems like people have been posting disconnection problems with G5 and MX518 from Xp - Vista - Win 7. Logitech rep replied to someone and suggested updating USB drivers or contacting them for a replacement. Not sure if it's specifically Windows 7 as my MX518 has worked fine in XP/Vista/Win7/Linux and works fine plugged into my PS3 even. I would contact Logitech and see if you can get a replacement.

This is getting very annoying, it started happening a while ago, I figured it was a messed up OS, so I formated my windows partition, but I still have this problem.
Every now and then the mouse disconnects for 3 seconds then reconnects. This only occurs in Windows, not on my Linux install. Any suggestions?

I've seen that behavior in Vista and W7HP with the older style Kensington Expert Mouse Trackballs (the ones silver in color with the 6 buttons at the top)

Moving the trackball to another machine using XP and the device worked fine. On Vista and W7, same problem...

Using the newer black Kensington Expert Mouse Trackball on any of the machines (the one with the scroll ring) or the newest SlimBlade version works fine.

I ended up replacing the device with a newer unit and my problem went away

My mx518 did the same thing your g5 is doing before it finally died about a week or two later. My windows machines would connect and reconnect and reconnect it. My mac would allow it to work briefly, and then I'd have to unplug it and plug it back in.

Back