• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win2k server/ WinXP workstation problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SteenkyBastage

Hey,

I've got a windows 2000 server (sp4) system up and running. It's been doing quite fine for the past 2 or 3 years. It handles active directory, DNS, DHCP, web and a few databases.

Well, about 3 or 4 months ago, we added in 3 windows XP workstations to the group (around 20 or so w2k workstations was all we had before this), but they all 3 seem to have the same issue. Slow/inconsistent networking.

The 3 XP systems are not the same build (different mobo/NIC/etc), so I am under the impression this is an XP issue.

All XP systems have been updated with ALL critical updates, and most of the regular updates (a few are not applicable to our needs), and all drivers are updated.

Anyhow, if one logs on locally (to the workstation), XP will start up in a matter of seconds... but when logging into the domain (server), they take around 2-3 minutes to log on. None of the w2k systems take more than 10 seconds to log onto the domain.

Then, if an XP system is logged on long enough (say 30 minutes or more), they lose all network connectivity... they can still access the internet (via LAN), but cannot stay connected to shared folders and such.

I've searched microsofts knowledge base and several other areas looking for a solution to this, but haven't had any luck.

I even built and installed a new server to replace the old one, with a fresh install of 2kserver... but I did copy all of the Active Directory stuff from the first server.

Anyone have any clue as to what might be causing this, or what might solve this issue? Cause I'm about ready to boot all XP machines for good if I can't figure this out.

BTW, all XP machines are XP pro, not home... All running new computers (barton2500's or faster w/ 512 or more ram), 100 or 1000Mbit Lan links (tried different cables and different wall locations), and they all show the exact same problems.

Thanks
-Steenky(frustrated)bastage

Back