• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win7 file copy behaviour

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pntgrd

Why does Win7, when you copy a file to a Directory already containg the same file, not ask to overwrite the existing file? It just makes another file and renames it "<filename> copy of". Can you revert back to the old way?

This is not a bug with the OS after having a conversation with a member of MSDN staff this behavior is normal. I did some test and this only happens with program and protected files.
You can copy pictures and other stuff and be prompt how to copy the file
Hope this helps

Last edited:
This is not a bug with the OS after having a conversation with a member of MSDN staff this behaviour is normal. I did some test and this only happens with program and protected files.
You can copy pictures and other stuff and be prompt how to copy the file
Hope this helps
I have found a work around for this. It only makes a "copy of" if you drag-n-drop. If you copy/paste you get the screen asking if you want to replace the file. And this is with a Program file. I sure wish yu could go back if you wanted. Years of dragging will have to be relearned if you can't.

Written by Ronnie Vernon

Default Drag and Drop in Windows 7 using the left mouse button.
In Windows 7 if you drag and drop a file from one folder to another folder, in the same location (for instance on the same hard drive) the file is moved, by default.
If you drag and drop a file from from one folder and drop it into another folder in a different location (for instance another hard drive, network location, CD, or memory stick) the file will be copied by default.

Default Cut or Copy and Paste in Windows 7.
If you right click and cut or copy a file, from any location, and then paste it to any other location, where a file with the same name exists, then you should see the popup with the 3 options to either Copy and Replace, Don't copy, or Copy but keep both files.

Default drag and drop using the right mouse button.

This is the same as previous versions of Windows. When you drop the file in the target location the context menu will pop up with the options to Copy or Move.

Written by Ronnie Vernon

Default Drag and Drop in Windows 7 using the left mouse button.
In Windows 7 if you drag and drop a file from one folder to another folder, in the same location (for instance on the same hard drive) the file is moved, by default.
If you drag and drop a file from from one folder and drop it into another folder in a different location (for instance another hard drive, network location, CD, or memory stick) the file will be copied by default.

Default Cut or Copy and Paste in Windows 7.
If you right click and cut or copy a file, from any location, and then paste it to any other location, where a file with the same name exists, then you should see the popup with the 3 options to either Copy and Replace, Don't copy, or Copy but keep both files.

Default drag and drop using the right mouse button.

This is the same as previous versions of Windows. When you drop the file in the target location the context menu will pop up with the options to Copy or Move.
That's what I had found out. IF you want to copy and replace a file you have to use Copy/Paste. A little more clumsy but it gets the job done.

That's what I had found out. IF you want to copy and replace a file you have to use Copy/Paste. A little more clumsy but it gets the job done.
I"m hoping MS will bring back the old way. Really its not that bad, copy and paste works and its always a good Idea to have a copy of the file. I wote MS develoment team a letter asking if this could be changed to prompt the user to make a copy or replace choice. Maybe I'll just try to make this myself and submitt it for approval

I almost positive MS decided to minimize the nagging prompts like vista. This may be one example of that. Administrative Prompt and then a second prompt how you like to copy the file. I'd prefer just the one prompt.

Last edited:
Do you have to copy file by file to get the overwrite behavior or the prompt?

I'm asking because I am trying to copy a set of files in folders over to a folder that is backed up by Dropbox. The program that uses those files glitches when used in conjunction with Dropbox, so I manually copy the files over every week or so. I don't recall having any trouble before but now all it does is give me an entire set of "copy of" folders. What's puzzling me the most is that I've done this before and don't recall having any trouble. These are largely .rtf files and some backup type files created by the program. Not .exe files or something like that.

For the moment, I've decided to delete the file I was trying to overwrite and just placed a fresh copy of the original files in its place.

I apologize if I sound like a complete idiot. I haven't had my coffee yet this a.m.

Back