• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win7 firewall any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

augerpro

Setting up a new box for my mom, and I'm wondering if Windows Firewall is good enough or if I should put a copy of my Zonealarm on it? Anyone see any independent testing?

ZA's junk. If I were to use a 3rd party firewall, that wouldn't be a choice. I use built in on all of my machines.

Why don't you like Zone Alarm Johnz? I use it and it seems to do the job. Unless it's really not blocking things that I haven't approved. Admittedly I've never let it self-learn and manually approve/reject all programs, but it seems to do ok. Just installed it this weekend when I checked to see if they had a 64-bit version (they do). It's got a small footprint (runs on 2.5M RAM) and does its job. Why such disdain?

Why don't you like Zone Alarm Johnz? I use it and it seems to do the job. Unless it's really not blocking things that I haven't approved. Admittedly I've never let it self-learn and manually approve/reject all programs, but it seems to do ok. Just installed it this weekend when I checked to see if they had a 64-bit version (they do). It's got a small footprint (runs on 2.5M RAM) and does its job. Why such disdain?

When it works, it works pretty well. The problem is they're constantly releasing updates that break it. Years ago it was my firewall of choice, but I got tired of the hassle of running it, and switched to Sygate.

Keep in mind, this was when I was on 56k. I played a lot of UT2k4, and it was very workable on 56k, but I needed every single bit I could get to go towards the game. I didn't have the bandwidth to spare for apps checking updates or anything like that. Now that I have cable, I don't do *outbound filtering. I trust everything I put on my computer, and I don't need to know an application wants to update or anything.

* I always purposely use this term "outbound filtering", because that isn't a security feature. It's to control program access on your network. Any real malware won't have any problem getting around a firewall, so all it ends up doing is pestering you for stupid stuff. If one's conscientious about what they put on their machines, trusting applications with net access shouldn't be an issue.

As an aside... I think it's amusing that many of the people who want outbound filtering on their firewall, and will happily answer prompts for that, also are the ones that complain about UAC prompts :^D For security, UAC would be the better pest to keep of those 2 choices :^)

Guess I've been lucky, none of the updates I've had in the last couple years broke anything. I had been using the Win7 firewall but missed the direct program control (and the annoying popups).

Guess I've been lucky, none of the updates I've had in the last couple years broke anything. I had been using the Win7 firewall but missed the direct program control (and the annoying popups).

Yea, it's been awhile since I've used it, but I've seen forum posts from others that indicate they're the same as when I was running it. If I were to use a 3rd party firewall, Comodo would be my first choice.

Comodo freeware is better than pay-for ZoneAlarm according to these tests:
http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php

I don't know how reliable those tests are but Comodo is great, it comes with Antivirus but I disable the antivirus component and use the Firewall only component then use install Avira Antivir freeware for antivirus.

Avira+Comodo freeware can beat most, if not all pay-for antivirus/firewall software.

I'll give Comodo a try. Zone Alarm is pretty easy to deal with and my wife is familiar with it. Hope it's not too complicated for her. Already have Avira and love it.

No firewall, software or hardware, will ever be perfect. The main thing to look for is blocking of outgoing traffic that isnt specified as allowed ( outgoing traffic from trojans and spyware ) and the ability to drop packets from port scans instead of responding to them and giving proof there's a target there.

Comodo looks pretty good. I may try it for myself. How is it working with Win7 64 bit?

For my mom though I want something unobtrusive with updating, and just works. Yes I have had annoyances with ZA updates causing some issues :-/

Which bring me back to Windows Firewall. I like the testing in the post above, but no WF. Anyone know any other credible third party testing of firewalls?

Comodo and Win7 64bit work well so far. I haven't had any issues. The package is pretty nice overall, with different levels of security, that can prompt you for just about anything. Out of the box, its pretty user friendly.

Windows Firewall cannot be set to intercept outgoing data being sent out. Remember when Sony installed that rootkit? If in the future a legitimate company decides to do something along those lines, Windows Firewall will not intercept them when sending data out. Therefore Windows Firewall sucks in comparison to Comodo, not to mention when tested when it comes to attacks.

Here's how I set up freeware Comodo for no hassle, minimal interference:
Install COMODO Firewall only, UNCHECK everything else.
Install Firewall Only, not Firewall with Optimum Proactive Defense. Do not join any Communities, UNCHECK when asked to install other items and do not use Comodo DNS Servers.

Right click on the Comodo icon in the task bar > Firewall security Level > Custom Policy Mode.

Start the program > Miscellaneous > Settings > General TAB > Update setting

Miscellaneous > Manage my configurations to Import/Export settings
(select COMODO Firewall Security for Blocked/Trusted programs)

Give a unique name to newly imported settings, then after importing go to
Miscellaneous > Manage my configurations > Click on the unique name > Activate

Firewall > Common Tasks > Define any New Trusted/Blocked Applications
Firewall > Advanced > Firewall Behavior Settings > Alert Settings > Very Low (Shows only one alert per application) > Apply

To view a list of blocked/trusted applications: Firewall > Advanced > Network Security Policy

Note that even if you exit this program, it will still block access to other computers on the network if the following are blocked under Firewall > Advanced > Network Security Policy:

System
Allow And Log IP In/Out From IP Any Where Protocol Is Any
C:\Windows\explorer.exe
Allow And Log IP In/Out From IP Any Where Protocol Is Any

Last edited:
Hmmm that site doesn't do anything for me. Thought something might be hidden so I turned off NoScript in Firefox and still there is nothing to click to test my defenses.

EDIT: nevermind went to "root" site and found the testing feature.

I liked and used ZoneAlarm back when it was version 4 and 5, so nothing personal against it but doesn't it make you wonder why it gained the "Not Recommended" mark in that link... :shrug:

Attachments

• proactive-security-challenge.jpg
    proactive-security-challenge.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 421
Likely to be as penetrated as many times as a..... dart board.... ;oP

Whatever, I'm bored.

Comodo is good but it is has a really slow startup. Especially when you want to pair it with an antivirus.

Just downloaded Comodo, so I'll be checking that out.

So...being the performance tweaker I am I had shut down Automatic Update when I installed Win7. I go to do an update just now and notice that one is definitions for Windows Defender. I didn't know that Win7 had an antivirus installed? Is it any good? Or just resource waste?

Ever since Norton I don't really like to have an AV running all the time. I prefer to setup the firewall (soft and hard) and not click on stupid stuff for most of my protection. I'll have an AV installed (AVG lately) just to run for periodic scans an occasionally scanning a download. Given the how do I turn off WD? Just unclick Real Time Protection and the Scan schedule? Or do I have to go into services?

Back