• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win7 firewall any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've found zero problems with Win 6 Pro 64-bit. Running it both at home and at work with no worries, of course I cn't claim to ever be bothered with running any software Firewalls.

augerpro, Install Firewall Only, not Firewall with Optimum Proactive Defense. Do not join any Communities, UNCHECK when asked to install other items and do not use Comodo DNS Servers.

Windows Firewall cannot be set to intercept outgoing data being sent out.
Of course it can be set but I agree that's a pain in the butt to manually set every application out.

33a9we1.jpg

Here it comes Windows 7 Firewall Control. Free version have pretty basic outgoing filtering but easy enough to set up.

But I'm a very happy Comodo FW and D+ user here. For long-long time. :)

Last edited:
Windows 7 Firewall cannot be set to intercept.

Meaning, an application sending data out is not intercepted to ask you for permission. But yeah, you can beforehand manually block something specific.

Update: disabled Consolidator in CEIP task scheduler. Rundll32 still accessing files. But I don't like all these info gatherers running anyway, so thanks for the tip c627627! Tried my last idea of turning off both AitAgent and ProgramDataUpdater in the Apllication Experience task scheduler. Appears we have SUCCESS!!

services.exe is modifying a key for BITS (background intelligent transfer) every 12 minutes, which it was not doing before I disabled the above programs. I don't get alerts for it though, it just fills up the log is all. So not too worried yet.

c627627 thanks for the advice on installing just Firewall. I was wondering about that earlier, I just stayed with the default of Defense+ because it appeared to just be a settings level, and not so much new features program. So what does it really add? Is it the part of the firewall that is monitoring all these non-internet traffic related events, like programs accessing other programs? And in the testing of firewalls posted earlier, was that done with firewall only, or with Defense+ on? Would any of the attacks have been allowed if Defense+ were off?

I liked and used ZoneAlarm back when it was version 4 and 5, so nothing personal against it but doesn't it make you wonder why it gained the "Not Recommended" mark in that link... :shrug:

Yeah but thats showing version 8 of ZA Now V9 is out I am currently using it on XP with my router firewall along with Spyware Blaster and Spybot and I seem to be protected.

Good luck, I hope that version 9 can pass more of their tests version 8 couldn't.

I just stayed with the default of Defense+ because it appeared to just be a settings level, and not so much new features program. So what does it really add? Is it the part of the firewall that is monitoring all these non-internet traffic related events, like programs accessing other programs? And in the testing of firewalls posted earlier, was that done with firewall only, or with Defense+ on? Would any of the attacks have been allowed if Defense+ were off?

Well sir, click here http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/support.html and download the User Guide which should list those details as I am not sure since the suggestion was to try to avoid conflicts and problems while getting the basic protection of an excellent freeware firewall.

I had an issue where Windows would stop seeing my internet connection or the Wifi would drop out. Interestingly, disabling the Windows Firewall and installing Comodo Firewall resolved this issue.

I no longer have any problems with either the net connectivity or the wifi dropping out. Comodo gives me better control over what can access the internet also which I like.

I am using the comodo firewall for the security of my pc.And i think the windows firewall is not enough for the security.Because my computer is effected many time before i use the comodo firewall and now its working better now.

Back