• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win7 OEM Future Hardware Upgrade Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dizzy Strife

Registered
I am building a new machine that eventually in the future I will want to upgrade the video card for sure as well as maybe the RAM and CPU. I have heard that if you get an OEM copy of Win7, that it will not allow you to upgrade hardware. Is this true? It would be nice to save the $100 dollars with the OEM copy that I could put towards an SSD in my new build, but I don't want to have to buy another copy of Win7 later on down the road each time just to upgrade the parts.

You'll be fine with OEM. Technically it's tied to the motherboard of the computer. Usually, if you just call Microsoft and say you upgraded/replaced a part, they'll reactivate the key.

You'll be fine with OEM. Technically it's tied to the motherboard of the computer. Usually, if you just call Microsoft and say you upgraded/replaced a part, they'll reactivate the key.

Ok that is good to know. By the time I am ready for a new motherboard, it will be time to build another new machine I imagine, and at that time I can afford another copy of whatever Windows is available. Lol.

Back