• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win8 USB 3.0 Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
I have all the time problems with USB 3.0 in my laptop ( and I see it's not only me who has issues with USB 3.0 in Win8 ). It's a Lenovo M490s running on Intel i3 with Win8/8.1.
Win8 has build-in USB 3.0 drivers and it should work without issues but I all the time see devices disconnecting or running on max ~40MB/s. Some time ago the only way to make it run faster was to uninstall USB driver and restart system. Then all was working fine for couple of days.
Today I made some tests on new Toshiba SD card ( up to 260MB/s ) and all was fine for maybe 2-3h but later transfers dropped to max ~40MB/s so I uninstalled drivers as usual and all has crashed ... now USB 3.0 ports are not working at all ( I get only warning sign in device manager ). Windows Update can't find anything and system can't download any new drivers. There are also no drivers available to download for Intel controllers.

Is there anyone who knows any way to reinstall USB 3.0 drivers in Win8 ?

Thanks in advance,

It's not that easy. Drivers on the Intel site are for Win7 or Server 2008. When you try to install it on Win8 then there is error that package is not compatible with Win8. Also there is official info on the Intel and Lenovo sites that they are not providing USB 3.0 drivers for Intel chipsets as all drivers were integrated with Win8/8.1. Simply Win8 should reinstall it automatically but for some reason it can't find the driver right now.

I was browsing web and many users have the same issues. Even if driver is working then speed is limited to 2.0 bandwidth.
USB 2.0 ports are working fine just all 3.0 ports are inactive right now. If I won't solve it in other way then I have recovery options but then I will lose some stuff that is already configured not to mention to reinstall all that soft.

yes seems they borked up the XHCI stack and there currently working on a fix.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog...sb-2-0-port-doesn-t-work-on-usb-3-0-port.aspx

this link is about forcing win7 stack
http://plugable.com/2012/12/01/windows-8-and-intel-usb-3-0-host-controllers

all sounds tedious and I cant play because i`ve not had the issue.

sounds like one or more of your devices dont know what to make of the new protocol requests and as a result the devices get confused and fail to operate.

maybe a registry fix if you can get the drivers going and force it not to use that protocol on the devices in question... but what a way to spend your day :-/

edit: some speculation that bitlocker encryption is also causing issue.

Last edited:
I've checked both ways. In the first case I get error while picking USB 3.0 device and can't continue with changing values. In the 2nd case I have all registry values already set to 00 00 and there is no line like in description ( probably because they made it on different device ).

Anyway, thanks for your time. I guess I will reinstall system when I find some more free time.

I've checked both ways. In the first case I get error while picking USB 3.0 device and can't continue with changing values. In the 2nd case I have all registry values already set to 00 00 and there is no line like in description ( probably because they made it on different device ).

Anyway, thanks for your time. I guess I will reinstall system when I find some more free time.

it seemed that microsoft feedback suggested reverting if its that big an issue yes.

hope you have an SSD drive then at least it will be pretty quick to nuke the drive and start again.

just not much anybody can do while we wait for the fix :-/

I wanted to install Win7 Pro but it just freezes on the "Starting Windows" screen just after booting from dvd :bang head ... secure boot disabled etc.

Edit:
I made it run, some UEFI options were blocking it ...

Last edited:
hmm, go in bios and try switching AHCI mode.

then have another go. :)

edit: at reinstalling that is. you can turn ahci back on later with a little fun if so much as installs without it :)

AHCI mode has to do with SATA ports only, not USB.

EDIT: Forget it, I see why you said that... but it will(should) BSOD if you are not in the right mode. Also, if you install on AHCI, your drive will work in IDE mode anyway.

With that Win7 install I had to turn off UEFI/switch it to legacy mode. No difference if it was in AHCI or IDE.
These new notebooks are pain but I actually learned something new.

Back