• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 2000 is dead (Don't do a fresh install!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you have a Dynamic IP, then just turn off your modem and router for a few hours, when you reconnect you should have a new IP :).

pwnt by pat said:
I used to use 2k exclusivly and have never, NEVER, NEVER had a problem with viruses or spyware - patched or unpatched. Just don't go anywhere you aren't supposed to. I use xp now, unpatched. I use no anti-virus, no antispyware. I don't go places where it's required as a safeguard.

What it sounds like is you have "someone" specifically attacking your IP. Call your isp and see what kind of activity is happening on your line.

edit: again, if you go places you shouldn't anyway, you won't have any problems

His problem had nothing to do with where he went. It had everything to do with him not being behind a firewall (software/hardware).

All you have to do is install a software firewall before you connect to the net and you will be fine.

Maybe not where he went after reinstall but definately what happened before his reformat. You don't just get randomly blasted anymore unless you did something to make yourself a target in the past. ;)

... especially when all you do is plug the cable in and pick up an ip.

pwnt by pat said:
Maybe not where he went after reinstall but definately what happened before his reformat. You don't just get randomly blasted anymore unless you did something to make yourself a target in the past. ;)

... especially when all you do is plug the cable in and pick up an ip.

That is so untrue. why don't you do a fresh install of 2000 without a firewall. You will get it just as bad:eek:

Edit: Why do you think XP turned on the firewall by default in SP2. Why do most ISP's now include NAT in their modems. Because these things are out there blasting away just looking for unprotected machines.

Last edited:
That's how I used to run, no firewall, no router, no anti-virus, no patches, and no problems. I don't use windows firewall or sp2. The only reason I switched to xp was because it takes forever to log on to 2k when you have several mapped drives on a server.

While there is no doubt some programs out there randomly scanning machines, it's rediculious to blame 2k for becoming infected the second it picked up an ip.

pwnt by pat said:
That's how I used to run, no firewall, no router, no anti-virus, no patches, and no problems. I don't use windows firewall or sp2. The only reason I switched to xp was because it takes forever to log on to 2k when you have several mapped drives on a server.

While there is no doubt some programs out there randomly scanning machines, it's rediculious to blame 2k for becoming infected the second it picked up an ip.

It is not 2k it is the worms and other nasties. You are trying to blame him for the wrong reason. the only fault he has is that he did not use a firewall or a router/modem with NAT.

Edit:

I bet you are behind NAT.

The most secure system during the experiment was the one running Linspire's Linux. Out of the box, Linspire left only one open port. While it reacted to ping requests by automated attackers sniffing for victims, it experienced the fewest attacks of any of the six machines and was never compromised, since there were no exposed ports (and thus services) to exploit.

The Macintosh machine, on the other hand, was assaulted as often as the Windows XP SP1 box, but never was grabbed by a hacker

Food for thought. Interesting too that Linspire is widely considered the least secure version of linux as it runs everything as root.

4 mins average time for a Windows box (XP too, not just 2K) to be totally compromised. That's pathetic.

Congress really needs to take action and make some tough laws against the dirtbags that write spyware. Legally, spyware is seen as far less of a crime than viruses atm, but I think that should change.

Just because my grandmother has no clue how to set up a firewall doesn't mean she should get assaulted with spyware.

LOL! I can't get my router to work with my DSL modem. I talked to SBC, found out the problem is this:
In order for my DSL modem to work, it needs to get its IP over the DSL. In order for my router to work, it must assign an IP to the devices connected to it. So no router or no internet. I can upgrade my DSL gateway for $50. (Yeah, right.) I can see why this is the "free" DSL modem that they give out... nobody would BUY it. Words can't express my "love" for SBC, but that's another story entirely.

In any case, I did get everything running, with zonealarm, patches, antivirus, and all, but it wasn't a job for the timid or lazy.

Caffinehog said:
LOL! I can't get my router to work with my DSL modem. I talked to SBC, found out the problem is this:
In order for my DSL modem to work, it needs to get its IP over the DSL. In order for my router to work, it must assign an IP to the devices connected to it. So no router or no internet. I can upgrade my DSL gateway for $50. (Yeah, right.) I can see why this is the "free" DSL modem that they give out... nobody would BUY it. Words can't express my "love" for SBC, but that's another story entirely.

In any case, I did get everything running, with zonealarm, patches, antivirus, and all, but it wasn't a job for the timid or lazy.

What model modem is it? Once I know that I can search out the info to get you set up and working.

Edit: sorry the last part (which I removed) just came out and does not apply to your situation.

Caffinehog said:

THIS HAS 'NOTHING' TO DO WITH THIS THREAD - START A NEW THREAD. SHEEESH

jajmon said:

You do realize this is the thread starter talking about why he is not behind a NAT router which relates perfectly to this thread. Now your CAPS is another story all together:mad:

I just installed win 2k with no problems...no more xp for me. Dual boot 2k and Ubuntu. I had no problems...however I installed an nvidia firewall prior to plugging in and am also behind a router.

Kendan said:
You do realize this is the thread starter talking about why he is not behind a NAT router which relates perfectly to this thread. Now your CAPS is another story all together:mad:

I read that response from him acting mad because the thread starter was updating us on what was happening and was confused by his response.
Why would it not possibly be relelveant since its his thread and also the update to his situation?

LOL wow. Maybe some tourettes kicked in or something? LOL

Wardog

This sounds fun. I might give it a try installing it today. Just for giggles you know.

I did a fresh build of a 2k Advanced Server last month and didn't have any issues like this. I alway function behind a NAT at the least though.

I havent had any of those problems and like I mentioned in my previous post I try to use win2k in all my builds.
I also dont have a router at home and just plug straight into the modem.
I also from time to time run on the internet without my firewall up. I shut it off to play games (even on the net) and then sometimes forget to turn it back on before I start surfin web pages.
Dont get me wrong I pick stuff up from time to time but nothing like described here.

It still looks to me like your IP itself is targeted not so much the OS build you used.

Good to hear you have it straightened out now.

Wardog

I think as an experiment I am going to build a PC out of some of my extra parts and run windows with no protection or updates fora bit to see what happens, LOL.

Ill just plug in to the modem and let the IP come up and when its all found Ill let it sit and see what happens.
Then after a while Ill surf a bit and see.

Probably wont take long to get infested but it will be interesting to see none the less.

YOu have talent I have never installed a firewall in win2k and have never gotten spyware unless I intentoinally let it get on.

I think you got something else going on or nasty internet stuff ins't interested in me at all.

jajmon said:

rofl. I thought that too, untill I looked at who started the thread! ROFL!

speed bump said:
YOu have talent I have never installed a firewall in win2k and have never gotten spyware unless I intentoinally let it get on.

I think you got something else going on or nasty internet stuff ins't interested in me at all.

Then most likely you are behind NAT. Most likely thru your modem.

Back