• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 32bit to Windows 8 64bit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peter124574

I currently have a windows 7 32bit os on a 64bit capable machine and i am having trouble installing windows 8 64bit.

Through my university i have access to all windows operating systems, (keys and set up files) for free.

Can anyone help with the easiest way to do this?

I also have bought an SSD and would like to install the new os onto that.

Many thanks,

Peter

Hey Peter. Are you trying to upgrade the OS or do a full install? I know a lot of people do upgrade and keep their programs and setting, but I personally always do a fresh full install and have never really run into any issues.

I also just Googled it and found this: Win 8 Upgrade Info

You will need to burn the OS to a disk and choose "custom install'' instead of the upgrade option. I would install the SSD first, and makes sure the firmware is up to date, then do a fresh install (custom install option) on the new drive.

This will obviously not have your old programs or files, so backup everything before you start. Another thing to consider is dual booting Windows 7 32bit and Windows 8 x64. Windows 8 just came out and will have issues, whereas your windows 7 is most likely good to go.

I chose to go this route so that I have both available and compatibility isn't really an issue for older games/software.

Last edited:
Hey Peter. Are you trying to upgrade the OS or do a full install? I know a lot of people do upgrade and keep their programs and setting, but I personally always do a fresh full install and have never really run into any issues.

I also just Googled it and found this: Win 8 Upgrade Info

You will need to burn the OS to a disk and choose "custom install'' instead of the upgrade option. I would install the SSD first, and makes sure the firmware is up to date, then do a fresh install (custom install option) on the new drive.

This will obviously not have your old programs or files, so backup everything before you start. Another thing to consider is dual booting Windows 7 32bit and Windows 8 x64. Windows 8 just came out and will have issues, whereas your windows 7 is most likely good to go.

I chose to go this route so that I have both available and compatibility isn't really an issue for older games/software.
In this case an "upgrade" will still be a fresh install due to going from 32 bit to 64 bit.

Unless something has changed, you can't go from 32bit->64bit without a complete fresh install/format.

I don't think you can go from an 32bit os to a 64bit os without doing a clean installation. The best thing to do is backup all your files, pictures, movies, music etc.. into an external hard drive or a flash drive. Then you can try to either make a bootable DVD with Active ISO Burner or you can make a bootable flash drive (easiest).

Back