• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7/8 boot loader problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

I created a separate partition for Windows 8 Consumer Preview so I could dual boot Win7/Win8. Works fine when Windows 8 is set to default, you can choose either OS from the cute little GUI boot loader screen but when Windows 7 is set to default then the text-based Windows 7 boot loader comes up and although both OSes show, Windows 8 cannot be chosen. It's like the keyboard isn't active. Has anybody played with Windows 8 preview yet and had the same problem.

Last edited:
I suspect that there is still development going on - in CP all loaders are listed in boot menu (in DP only loaders based on bootmgr where visible by default - Vista and later).
I am switching text style - new style and can select all 5 loaders I have (XP to W8CP and Ubuntu) in either mode.

trents, when I installed Win8 originally, I also had problems setting it up as part of my multi-boot, did a brief search and discovered many reports of this problem.

I then nuked it and decided to just wait for the Release to Manufacturing version as usual. I am anxious for it to be released, it will be my first 64-BIt OS, but most definitely only as part of my multi-boot so please post with news if this problem has been resolved.

It seemed that maybe with tinkering and EasyBCD it could be done but I did not spend time trying. I remember people asking why there was a problem with this as it's logical for people to install the preview version as a dual boot.

Boot loader problem often arises in the situation of installing an updated version of operating system over the previous one.
The easiest solution might be to format the system and installed any one but if you don't want to do this, then just leave it and use your Windows 7 operating system.

Thanks
Oliver

Welcome to the forums.

The entire point is that we would not like to use Beta Windows version for any other purpose but to test them. We would like to therefore do what we can do with any other Windows operating system, which is to install different versions on different partitions then simply select which OS we wish to boot in.

If we had a trio of say Windows XP-Vista-7, we could quickly set them up in a triple boot. Windows 8 should have been multi-boot compatible (so to speak) from the get go. It prevented some of us from spending more time reviewing it so we'll have to wait until RTM is released to Microsoft subscribers to find out what is right and not right with Windows 8 and most importantly, to post detailed instructions on how to restore old useful features.

We will wait half a year to figure all that out.

Hello,

I installed windows 8 developer preview on a separate partition for test purpose. Nothing fancy. I liked major changes like others I imagine.

Then, windows 8 developer preview stopped working, I don't know why, neither do I"know how long I can test windows 8. I used Windows 7 RC for months and didn't have the same problem.

So, I used windows 8 boot menu to start on my windows vista first. Then, I gparted the windows 8 partition. If I try to start windows 8 again, it loads windows 8 rescue mode options and other boot options as if it was still installed. Have no clue where these files are.

In the EasyBCD thread from their forum there was something about selecting and draging bootmgr from the W8 partition root into the W7 partition root... If there is an additional procedure, I'll post a step by step instructions when RTM becomes available but you would think that Microsoft would make multi boots work just like they worked b/w Win7 & Vista....

For those sticking with the Win8 preview, there definitely should be a step by step detailing a clear multi-boot setup right now, I mean who wouldn't want to do a multi-boot? How was this not a priority when releasing the Win8 preview and why is there no clear point by point instructions anywhere... what can you do :shrug: except post one ourselves I guess.

Back