• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WIndows 7 oem upgrade limit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

swampdonkey

Alrighty I have already upgraded my cpu (phenom ii -> fx-8150 with no problems) and I was just curious to know can i upgrade my gpu or must I buy another copy of windows? GTX 480 is beginning to chug a bit in some games. was looking at getting a 7950. I have read on many forums that windows 7 sort of keeps track of how much you upgrade and I dont wanna be ***** outa luck.

Though I sometimes will do a clean install on all hardware upgrades, you really don't need to for anything beyond the motherboard and HDD. You should be fine. Just run driver sweeper on the old drivers before you put in the new card and install its drivers.

The OEM EULA specifies the motherboard as the component that defines the term "computer." You may change any other components without violating the terms of an OEM license. You may also replace the motherboard with an identical replacement part should it fail.

Windows activation can always be done over the phone, regardless of the components changed, even if the online activation fails.

Back