• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 The Indexing Question Again

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I have my system set-up to how I like and performance is great but I am confused about the indexing question that goes around, see I moved the file over to my 500GB and I've just unchecked the box under properties of the SSD "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties". Now this probably won't do anything (apart from the looks of it giving me back 500MB of data) but is the 500GB which had all my steam games, music, movies, and general documents still being indexed and is there any benefit in having it turned on anyway even how I've done it.

I turned indexing off because it reduces hard drive activity. If you have it on, when you search for a file on your computer, the results are displayed faster.

If you have it off, the results are displayed slower but for me it is fast enough.

Well I think it's off on the SSD but I left it switched on the 500GB so either which everything seems to find I dont seem to get any HDD activity that makes my system lag

You can disable indexing if you have an SSD as the returns are plenty fast. If you have a HDD, I would leave it on for faster response. It takes several seconds to reindex my HDD if that is disabled.

Back