• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Window's 7 update issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fortunesfool

Window's 7 x64 keeps telling me that the same 3 updates are avalible no matter how many times I try to install them.. One of the updates fails everytime (some update for my GTX 680)

I also noticed that one of my updates was installed in 2010....I just build this computer december 2012..

Any ideas?

One of the updates fails everytime (some update for my GTX 680)

Allowing Windows Update to update your video card drivers is a recipe for disaster.

Use manufacturer web site, not Windows Update for hardware driver updates. Right click > Hide a driver update whenever you see Windows Update offering it for any hardware, and especially video cards. Consider yourself lucky that it only failed to update. I can't tell you how many times we've seen the entire system fail to boot because we allowed Windows Update to install a video card driver update.

Thats probably why the update keeps failing because I updated the drivers from the website when I first build the computer. The other 2 updates that keep showing up are;

*Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB2600217)
Download size: 32.2 MB
This update addresses stability, reliability, and performance issues in Microsoft .NET Framework 4. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

*Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB2656351)
Download size: 9.0 MB
Update type: Important
A security issue has been identified that could allow an unauthenticated remote attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft.

BOTH of these updates install every time I try, but my system does not ask to restart, then when I check for updates again it's still trying to get me to install them..

KB2656351 This hopefully will help with this one.

From the looks of it, that might just do it for both of them. Apparently that's a common update failure.

EDIT: Maybe try the MS Fix It here.

EDIT2: Here is a forum discussion re: a hand full of screwy updates including the ones you have listed with ways to straighten it out if the above doesn't work.

Last edited:
Back