• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 updating on a proper clean install, WU error occurs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RJARRRPCGP

99 percent, on a fresh Windows 7 installation, for at least 1 update, I will get error code 80080005!

I'm so sick and tired of getting 80080005! :mad:

It's 100 percent a Microsoft bug and Microsoft still failed to correct it.....

And, some at the Microsoft message board are useless, they treat me like I'm a computer dummy and tell me to check for malware.

It's not malware. Windows wasn't tampered by third party software.

*Please don't reply with stuff about how to reset Windows Update or removing malware. I will report posters that do.*

*I will treat those type of posts as spam.*

Here's an example post that's not useless as heck:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...ows-update80080005-win-7?forum=w7itprogeneral

10. Now Windows Update errors out with the error code: Windows Update_80080005.

11. What a joke notice this all happened in 1 hour. I will post this on MS tech net but will probably get a bunch of newbs telling me I have Malware.

Ignore the last post in that thread, you will be redirected to bull.

Last edited:
I feel your frustration. I have 2 Win7 PCs and one has been working flawlessly (Q9650). The other has been a major pita on several installs & two sets of hardware. My last adventure in WU errors led me to deactivating windows (I don't know how or why). Since I was going to have to activate by phone, I decided to activate on new hardware (4670K) :D. So far I'm up to date, including a forced update to IE11 which I didn't want, but the updates aren't constantly failing... yet.

The MS support forums really do just run you around in circles and never provide an actual fix to your update error. :mad:

Looks like selecting the 2011 updates one-at-a-time and rebooting a gazillion times solves the problem!

Looks like the 2012 and 2013 updates aren't affected.

It seems to be one of the 2011 hotfixes every time!

Back