• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8.1 I think Im ready, couple questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
On the other hand, they also said that they were bringing back the Start Button to Windows 8.1 ... and they did bring back "a" start button to Windows 8.1 -- not "the" Start Button because Win8.1 button just catapulted you right back into the jaws of Metro, so it turned out to be more of a cruel joke than a real Start Button....

Maybe they will finish what they started with the service pack/feature pack-type update called Update 1 (or GDR1 internally), that's expected to ship April 2014. :shrug:

One can hope :sly:

Haven't been using 8.1 that long, but classic shell makes it more usable to me.

I'll third it :)

I bought it because I was migrating my WIN7 to another build, and why go backwards on my main rig more or less, as the reviews have been pretty positive.

I've seen some clunker versions of Windows in the past but 8.1 seems pretty solid so far, still messing with it myself.

I still avoid windows media player myself, I like using Daum Pot Player, but is more or less a personal choice I guess.

Last edited:
Well I installed Windows 8.1 last night. Bought a retail copy just because the price was so friendly. I will say at first I was saying "what have I done" but today im fine. I don't mind metro at all and Im getting used to everything :thup: All in all I really do like this. Getting my games all back on the system and my programs I use. Good so far !!

Thank you all for all the tips and responses :)

I ran windows 7 since the beta came out, then passed to Wim 7 x64, really liked it, added an SSD to my system, that was a great improvement in speed.
The moment Windows 8 was out i installed it. Got used to the new things in about a week.

The day the 8.1 announcement was given i was installing it, i think that was in june or july last year. Since then absolutely no issues with hardware, all usb keyboards and mouses i used got recognised right away.
I played a few games too... even old ones, played ok on the new. Ancient ones were glitchy.

I have 2 issues with my 8.1:

Late December i experienced sluggish log-in (between entering passport to user account and full desktop load)

and in January for 2-3 days it gave me the blue screen.

I did a fresh OS install and all is well. Although it still lags sometimes after i type my password. I think it has something to do with the fast logon - the 4 digit pass, beats typing my mile-long hotmail password.

Other than that, i am happy with it.

My 2 cents.

I installed 8.1 Pro last night (had 8.1 vanilla on my laptop for a while). Only real issue with any substance is that there are no good drivers for my X-Fi sound card (switching audio modes or amount of speakers messes up the audio and has to restart).

Other than that, it's been good. There's a few keyboard shortcuts that make life a lot easier most people don't know about. Win + Q is a good one; it's like a quick launch but without opening metro.

I remembered that my other printer had some issues, a Canon MP810. It is not supported by win 8.1, I managed to make it work (printing only) installing it into my router.

8.1 is still a relatively new of and not all old devices are supported. Hopefully they are working on this issue, if not we shall see ourselves pushed to more consumerism and update our old gear.

I just got 8.1 and looking forward to a fresh install. Going to wait til I get a new larger SSD 256gb or so and then make the switch over. I'm sure with the Classic Shell Start Button I'll enjoy 8.1 :D

I just got 8.1 and looking forward to a fresh install. Going to wait til I get a new larger SSD 256gb or so and then make the switch over. I'm sure with the Classic Shell Start Button I'll enjoy 8.1 :D

exactly what I did in getting a new SSD to run it on, hope you enjoy it as I do. :thup:

I got my first ssd when I had the old build with a dual core Intel with 2gigs of ram and win 7. After the fresh install on the Crucial M4 128Gb, windows grade jumped a couple of points and my pc was lighting fast. It loaded in a couple of seconds even the biggest programs.

Regarding the Classic she'll start button, don't get your hopes up, it is not the menu you are used with in the older windows, it goes to the new interface.. having it in the lower left corner it does not actually have a purpose since clicking in that corner is the command to open the metro interface. It's introduced for confort. By the way, right-click in it, or shortcut WinKey+X gives you a nice practical menu. Especially to shut down the pc, run, etc.

You are talking about Windows 8.1 Start Button that is placed there to fool people into thinking that Windows 8 now has a real Start Button. Windows 8 does not have a real Start Button - that button is placed there as a trap to sling you right back into Metro you tried to escape from! A cruel joke played on us by the developers who took away booting into Desktop from us in the first place.

This is the one and only real Classic Shell which uses a real Start Button (you can get custom button pictures, there are some really good ones out there):
http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/
It is freeware, beware of fake sites who use the same code to try to charge you money for it.

Back