• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8.1 Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

I am writing my next hate speech esque paper on Windows 8, called Windows 8.1 and the Future: A Corollary

I'm doing a flood of research on my new paper, and I was wondering if I am missing something, or on the default Windows 8.1 "Maps" metro app, is there no possible way to change the default map provider off of Bing? The same with the weather app.

I realize it's sort of grasping for straws, and Microsoft allowing competitors services without a separate app would be like trying to change Apple's map provider on their default maps app on iOS to google, I know you can simply download a Google Maps app, but still, it would kind of remind me of United States v. Microsoft, and how relentlessly they're pushing their services, etc.

Wow, that is a stretch. I can't offer any insight, but I would guess that your assumption is correct. It would be pretty silly to have Microsoft ship an application that could be configured to use another provider's services. I don't think that's a knock against Microsoft.. I think it's a sound, logical business decision that just about anyone would make.

It always cracks me up just how determined you are to unquestionably despise all things Windows 8. I look forward to reading your paper!

The complaints against Windows 8 centered on Microsoft initially not allowing us to make a choice to boot into Desktop... lack of choice in other words, rather than having this or that option being the default option.

If they created the software, then yes then they get to have the default option... as long as we can make the choice to customize... then what exactly is the problem?

Update 1 for Windows 8 allows us to finally boot into Desktop.
Windows 9 will finally bring back the Start Menu... so yes upon initial release we had huge problems because there was no choice but now the ship is turning to give us what we want: ability to customize, to choose what we want to be default.

Back