• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8 concerns

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

i will be buying windows 8...prb today.

i wanted to know FOR SURE if i can do a full and clean install with the retail upgrade version of windows (from the tutorials i have seen, people have shown this is possible). meaning i can install to a empty drive and still get away wtih doing a full install of windows with the upgrade version

i also wanted to know about the product key. from what the guy on the line told me, the product key will last only 4 years. and that i can reuse the product key 5 times if i have to re install windows 8.

also, can someone tell me about this VLK? im planning on buying that as well since i have multiple computers in my house...dunno if that would be more expensive (ill go with the family pack if thats too much to ask for)

can i also move the VLK or FAMPACK keys to other computers if i were to replace them with better ones?

I believe the upgrade version requires a previous windows install, however after it verifys a previous install it gives you the option for a clean install.

Is there a specific reason you want Win8? Because I believe the upgrade pricing has jumped up significantly from the introductory pricing.

I believe the upgrade version requires a previous windows install, however after it verifys a previous install it gives you the option for a clean install.

Is there a specific reason you want Win8? Because I believe the upgrade pricing has jumped up significantly from the introductory pricing.

i hope this dosent anger the mods...well anyway. im trying to escape the world of piracy. i had to go piracy because i didnt have the money to purchase windows when i was a kid. parents didnt want to buy it themselves either so they chose to buy an hp computer from walmart...and an acer from radio.

but now that im getting some money, i want to buy some Windows 7 VLK (if they arent over 200) and a copy of windows 8.

just want to know if anybody was able to do a clean install using the windows 8 upgrade edition disc.

Like I said, yes you can do a clean install however a previous "upgradeable" OS must be present. I have heard people talk about work arounds for this but I am not sure what that exactly entails...

I say just get Win7 and be done with it...It is the sucessor to winXP as it seems to be taking the place of many long time winXP machines.

Even us Feds are switching over to Win7 from XP...

i hope this dosent anger the mods...well anyway. im trying to escape the world of piracy. i had to go piracy because i didnt have the money to purchase windows when i was a kid. parents didnt want to buy it themselves either so they chose to buy an hp computer from walmart...and an acer from radio.

but now that im getting some money, i want to buy some Windows 7 VLK (if they arent over 200) and a copy of windows 8.

just want to know if anybody was able to do a clean install using the windows 8 upgrade edition disc.

nothing to be ashamed of if you're doing the right thing. I can understand wanting to make good on years of wrong by wanting to support companies you once stole from.

If you want to buy win8 out of a sense of guilt over years of theft, more power to you. However, don't buy it to actually use as an OS. Its more of a headache then its worth.

Stick to win7.

+1 to win 7. My gaming laptop came with win8 and I hate that stupid metro interface. It's like for every thing you need to do, there's an additional step to scape from those crazy boxes. I know there's a shell you can install to make win 8 look like win 7 but... what's the point?

nothing to be ashamed of if you're doing the right thing. I can understand wanting to make good on years of wrong by wanting to support companies you once stole from.

If you want to buy win8 out of a sense of guilt over years of theft, more power to you. However, don't buy it to actually use as an OS. Its more of a headache then its worth.

Stick to win7.

if its unstable...as vista then i wouldnt. but if its able to be as functional as windows 7 and xp then i will. i dont mind the interface much (im sure my family would be lost using it)

but windows 7 is 5 years old....is there a chart i can find to see when they cut complete support for windows xp, vista, 7, and 8? thanks in advance.

EDIT: never mind, found it. its right over here >> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifeselect

lol I love how in the comments for Win7 they have "Buy Windows 8 Now!"

Trust me, as long as there is a strong enterprise demand for windows 7 it will continue to be supported. There has been a huge shift by public and private sector companies to windows 7 and they will not be switching over any time soon.

lol I love how in the comments for Win7 they have "Buy Windows 8 Now!"

Trust me, as long as there is a strong enterprise demand for windows 7 it will continue to be supported. There has been a huge shift by public and private sector companies to windows 7 and they will not be switching over any time soon.

Windows 7 it is i guess. how do i get the VLK btw? just need some for home premium. like 3-4....let me go do some checking. i might have some run linux instead.

In my company we are using VISTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and this month IT decided that it's time to move on and they are rolling out 7!

Rest assured win 7 support will last 10 years as XP did. And in terms of drivers and software, XP is still supported.

it looks like ill have to go with Windows 8 pro.

walmart has the FULL INSTALL (i dont see upgrade on the box) version for the same price as windows 7 home premium. and i want mine now.

EDIT: looks like i will have to get OEM version of windows 8.

from my understanding, they have changed it to where if you install the OEM version of windows 8, you can either sell the custom built desktop yourself, or keep it for personal use.

the key is also transferable, i will not recieve customer support from microsoft, and its allot cheaper then buying windows 7 and windows 8 upgrade.

can anyone correct me on this? i dont want to be stuck with a box that might turn into a pirate ship or paper weight if i cant reinstall or transfer windows 8 key.

Last edited:
Back