• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Windows 8 Installation Not Detecting Hard Drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

claybuster5

Hello everyone, this is my first post :D I am having trouble installing Windows 8 as it does not detect my hard drives to install to. They are in raid 10 configuration, so I assume that is the reason as Ubuntu has no problem loading them. I tried to load all the drivers for my motherboard in the installation process but they aren't recognized by the installer either. Any one have any suggestions on how to fix this? I'm trying this on a Abit AN8 motherboard with 4 1tb Seagate Barracuda drives.
Thank you!

Last edited:
Can you get a link to your motherboard's page? I am finding multiple when searching for "Abit AN8"

I don't know of a workaround, as drivers from XP don't work on Vista and up.
If Windows 8 doesn't find it automatically chances are it doesn't exist for the OS (since it's not on the manufacturer site).

I don't think you're going to like me for this, but it was never a driver problem. After I installed Linux, something must gone wrong in the RAID controller because the RAID configuration was gone. Configured a new RAID array and bam! Windows is installing right now. As a programmer, I'm kind of used to these stupid little mistakes but this one had me laughing and swearing at the same time lol

I knew Win8 would have it preloaded if it was going to work, glad you got it solved!

I don't think you're going to like me for this, but it was never a driver problem. After I installed Linux, something must gone wrong in the RAID controller because the RAID configuration was gone. Configured a new RAID array and bam! Windows is installing right now. As a programmer, I'm kind of used to these stupid little mistakes but this one had me laughing and swearing at the same time lol

Used to vanish on me with bad clocking years ago... Now I hate cheap ssd's with random amnesia.

See much has changed since bad sectors on five and a quarter inch floppies :rofl:

See much has changed since bad sectors on five and a quarter inch floppies :rofl:

Dang! Just as likely to get bad sectors on 3.5 inch floppies, if not more often! :mad:

Even when no error when copying files to the floppy when on one of the campus PCs.
When I was at my PC to copy the files to my hard disk drive, boom! A freaking disk error!
It seems that later floppies are more likely to be bipolar!

(Wonders if early 2000s and some late 1990s floppies were junk?)

Last edited:
Back