• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8 soon to be more like W7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, ED I just saw this on maximumpc through facebook. I might actually think about considering winows 8.1 now, or go with windows 7 professional. A task bar and true start menu!

What, exactly, did you see in those videos makes you want to switch to Windows 8 that wasn't there before?

Yes, ED I just saw this on maximumpc through facebook. I might actually think about considering winows 8.1 now, or go with windows 7 professional. A task bar and true start menu!

What, exactly, did you see in those videos makes you want to switch to Windows 8 that wasn't there before?
Says it all for me
At its Build developers conference in San Francisco on Wednesday, Microsoft announced a trio of new features for Windows 8.1 that had a decidedly "old-school" feel: First, Windows will get a bunch of tweaks that make it easier to use with a keyboard and mouse. Second, Microsoft announced that Windows 8-style "Modern" apps will run in a window in the traditional desktop interface. Third, the Start menu -- the ultimate signifier of "old" Windows -- is eventually coming back.

AND

Attachments

• 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 204
What luke pointed out. There wasn't the use of a taskbar and a start menu. I know these could be added along through 3rd party shells. As much as this site promotes customizability and working in the depths of the computer. I want to start somewhere with familiarity natively and not have to go to an outside source to bring that back. Once I am comfortable to move on then I will look further.

That picture is Windows 7. If you watch the video, there is no mention of anything like that at all. They claim it is "eventually" coming back.

What luke pointed out. There wasn't the use of a taskbar and a start menu. I know these could be added along through 3rd party shells.
Windows 8 has a task bar.

Qpd5Aj4.png

That picture is Windows 7. If you watch the video, there is no mention of anything like that at all. They claim it is "eventually" coming back.

Windows 8 has a task bar.

View attachment 142121

Then it is a modified windows 7 taskbar. Also, from my understanding that video is solel to showcase the new "Mouse and keyboard features" relevant to "metro" and its apps. Thats also a truncated video

But, to further answer the question, being able to minimize, and close and minimize "store/metro" apps without having to drag them to the bottom of the screen is just more familiar.

Attachments

• 7taskbar.JPG
    7taskbar.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Then it is a modified windows 7 taskbar.
What is a modified Windows 7 taskbar? The original screenshot you gave is a stock install of Windows 7. The screenshot I posted is my dead-stock Windows 8 desktop.

But, to further answer the question, being able to minimize, and close and minimize "store/metro" apps without having to drag them to the bottom of the screen is just more familiar.
It is cool they are attempting to make it easier, and I'm for this, but switching out Metro apps is already easy without a touch screen. I have a Metro application open right now for work. I can switch to it and back to the desktop with Win + Tab. I can also move my mouse to the upper left corner and pull it down to go through all the open windows.

Are the people complaining about 8 even using it? I have it on my laptop and desktop, use both on a daily basis (including Metro apps), and wouldn't ever switch back to 7. I'm not saying that people don't have the right to complain about it if they don't use it. I'm genuinely curious why there is this hatred for the new OS and why there is the sudden switch in attitude in this thread.

So I was able to watch the youtube vido in my room for the source I read this from: http://www.maximumpc.com/microsoft_...nu_and_catering_mouse_and_keyboard_users_2014 . I heard no claim of it coming back I heard there IS an update coming with these features. There was no play on words. You also better see the start menu too then the original source that looks like win7. All apps will go to the task bar and not run in the back ground requiring you to "swipe" a direction or use a different key input, win+tab. I mean what ever happened to alt+tab was that just too old of a command too?

Edit for obvious types, 2am time for bed!

I know why I am seeing a difference, I am using small icons, my bad, and I apologize.

Yes, I have used Windows 8, and 8.1. I do NOT like Windows 8/8.1 because of the departure from the basic familiarity with previous versions of windows. I genuinely like Windows as an OS.

I didn't get a Win7 phone because, I, do not like the tiles. Same for Win8 phones. I don't need or want, a mobile OS ported to a desktop. If I did I'd use android. I do not like metro. If I didn't have a choice would I get used to it? Yes, and I'd probably complain to myself about it hourly. It's like a lot of things, change is good, to much change is asking for trouble. Now, granted this is all subjective and my own opinion, and later this spring when I upgrade I will most likely end up with Win 8.1, I used it for a couple of months when I did have it, and was nothing but frustrated by it. I don't simply want to be able to switch out metro apps, I want to be able to lose them, in a way that I'm used to. In the videos I have watched, I honestly like that the close/minimize auto-hides.

Is dragging the apps to the bottom of the screen to close them that big of a deal? No. But it is not my natural action/reaction. I'm not the 27 different things open kind of person, so I generally close whatever it is I am not using, and re-open when I need it again. This all may be a can't teach a not so old, but old enough dog new tricks kind of thing, but I just think it's to much change, to try and standardize something that not everyone wants. If they gave the option to have Metro shell, or Classic shell in a 100% one way or the other manner, but with the backend improvements of Win8 like fast-boot etc I would be all over it. Does the Win8 start button open a menu (without hacks/exploits)? Or still go to Metro? I don't like metro lol.

If their was a legal way to play WoW pre-cata I'd gladly pay whatever fee they asked.

Are the people complaining about 8 even using it? I have it on my laptop and desktop, use both on a daily basis (including Metro apps), and wouldn't ever switch back to 7. I'm not saying that people don't have the right to complain about it if they don't use it. I'm genuinely curious why there is this hatred for the new OS and why there is the sudden switch in attitude in this thread.

+1 along with everything else he said.

There are still people who don't know that you can actually get Win 8.1 to start at the desktop menu, instead of metro (and 3rd party mods); and you dont need this update to do it.

It's like..."Do you even Windows?" :sly:

Good job M$, you basically made a new Windows 7. :screwy:

:facepalm:

I don't understand them at all anymore.

I do NOT like Windows 8/8.1 because of the departure from the basic familiarity with previous versions of windows. I genuinely like Windows as an OS.

... But there is no difference between Windows 7 and [Windows 8 + Classic Shell] http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/

And why do they keep saying "that doesn't mean Microsoft is giving up on the idea of a tablet-friendly operating system..."
as if it has to be one or the other!?!

Microsoft could have this natively if they wanted to:
• SHIFT + Start Menu Button on Classic Shell Freeware and you are in Metro.
• ESC and you are in Windows 7-looking Desktop. You can choose to always boot into Metro or Windows 7 looking Desktop.

There is no difference between Windows 7 and [Windows 8 + Classic Shell] if you spend fifteen seconds doing this:

Attachments

• ClassicShellCustom.jpg
    ClassicShellCustom.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 188
  • DisableCharms.png
    DisableCharms.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 189
  • Start Button Image.png
    Start Button Image.png
    26.9 KB · Views: 186
  • Arrow.png
    Arrow.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 184
  • Windows 7.png
    Windows 7.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 185
Took the same amount of time to add Windows 7 HP 64 (Of which a Micro$oft rep stated to me was NLA in retail stores, online or B&M) to cart and check out. If I was forced to get Windows 8 and had no other choice but to get Classic Shell that would be one thing, but as long as I can buy Windows 7 (Good price btw) I don't need to.

Took the same amount of time to add Windows 7 HP 64 (Of which a Micro$oft rep stated to me was NLA in retail stores, online or B&M) to cart and check out. If I was forced to get Windows 8 and had no other choice but to get Classic Shell that would be one thing, but as long as I can buy Windows 7 (Good price btw) I don't need to.
Only 5 left in stock for $25! Way cheaper than Windows 7.

lol, Before my time Thid. I will say this.. if I was not so familiar with Windows 7 (their is a long story behind this, I did NOT touch a PC from Oct. 5th of 2007, to Aug 9th of 2012, and except for a couple months since then have used Win7) and was using a windows OS for the first time, I'd probably have no complaints about Win8.

People had the same criticism about XP when it came out, and I had the same viewpoint towards the holdouts that you and ohers have towards Windows 7 holdouts.

Windows 8 without Classic Shell is a nightmare to use. This has nothing to do with resistance to change, but productivity and functionality drawbacks of Windows 8.0 such as it was out of the box.

However, Classic Shell resolves all these problems and is freeware and installs in seconds. Steven Sinofsky and his entire team would not have been removed from positions they held at Microsoft had they simply incorporated Classic Shell from the beginning - giving people a choice for both Metro and Desktop with real Start Button and real Start Menu.

We would not be talking about Windows 7 if they did, because with Classic Shell we get to experience the advantages of Windows 8 over Windows 7.

You should choose Windows 8 IF you are installing from scratch and can choose between Win7 and Win8, if the cost is equal.

1. Classic Shell makes Metro available with a single click - not forced on you by default - there goes the only reason I know of for most people NOT TO GO with Windows 8.

2. Whoever inherits your system gets extra three years of Windows updates. Win8 end of life will be longer than Win7. 2023 vs 2020.

3. Error-checking an external drive under Windows 7 results in a memory leak. If you use Windows 7 to check a (large) external drive for errors, you will run out of system resources due to a memory leak bug. There is no known fix.

4. Mostly small stuff such as ability to pause/continue copy-paste operations. Somewhat snappier performance. If we can demonstrate that Windows 8 does boot faster (even if it is only a couple of seconds faster than Windows 7), and we can demonstrate that on a completely equal dual-boot system, if people then say "well what's a few seconds, I don't care." Well then install Windows 7 from scratch and wait an extra second or two for your system to load and be happy like that. The rational question should be "what do I lose by installing Windows 8?"

That gets us into what RAM and CPU usage advantages are, multi-monitor advantages, future touch screen application advantages, lost of other stuff people say they "don't really need' but why would I go and install Windows 7 from scratch when maybe in the future I may want to check out a Metro App? Classic Shell makes Windows 8 look like Windows 7 and with a simple SHIFT+CLICK on the Start Menu, we get the OPTION (just the option) of Metro. Why give that up, why not have the option if there is no downside?

The downside would be if you abandoned a perfectly-working Windows 7 to UPGRADE, do not do that, but from scratch? Go with Windows 8 and if not, then why not?

So... some additional things you probably don't need but get anyway are:

Better Task Manager
Improved Task Bar management
Better file transfer management
Better multi-monitor and projector support (recognizes multiple configurations automatically)
Starts/shuts down faster
Recovers from sleep faster
Recovers from hibernation faster
Better battery life
Better biometrics integration
Better touch integration
Installs faster
HYPER-V
Better printer recognition during installation
People mostly agree that it seems more stable overall on average

Last edited:
I always install Classic Shell on Windows 8/8.1 machines. Have had "0" problems with it. There are certain situations where Windows 8./8.1 forces you back into the metro interface, even with C. Shell, however.

Back