• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8 soon to be more like W7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My wife didn't like the shutdown options available, so I just created a shutdown shortcut and put it on the taskbar, now it just takes 1 click to shutdown. She likes it a lot better and doesn't really mind anything else regarding 8.1

Glad your experience was not like the other poster who upgraded his buddy's computer only to have his wife threaten divorce, acting like a "bee" from hell over not being able to use the new OS like she could before. That's something a lot of people have experienced :).

Golden rule of programming. If you have a large user base, whenever making major UI changes, whenever possible offer the Classic option. Radical new changes will be accepted easier and faster because there will be no people complaining about them, think about it, they would have nothing to complain about. They would have the security of the Classic option while experimenting (and some of them gradually accepting) the new way of doing things...

If that new way is better, easier, faster, then it will get accepted. Windows 8 did not get accepted because it was not quicker, easier, faster for the billions of computers with mice attached to them.

I am downloading the windows 8.1 enterprise eval .iso to give it am honest chance...

Will ClassicShell work with the 90 day evaluation copy?

To anyone installing Windows 8 from scratch, Windows 8.1 update 1 gets released tomorrow so that is the latest OS version from Microsoft.

Classic Shell was released during Windows 7 days, way before Windows 8 existed. If you decide to install Classic Shell, make sure it is the latest version 4.0.6 or later:
http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/

All my notes on Classic Shell:
Classic Shell 4.0.6

[You can always use the option to go to Metro with SHIFT + Start Menu Button.]

Double click on Setup.exe to install the program.

UNCHECK: Classic Start Menu if you just wish to use the buttons + extras and not the Classic Start Menu for Windows 7.

or for Windows 8: UNCHECK: Classic IE9 if you want to keep new Internet Explorer settings.

Right click on Start Menu > Settings > Start Menu Style TAB > Classic with two columns >

Custom Button > Button Image has to be a single .bmp or .png image of three different buttons top, middle, and bottom button depicting normal, hot and pressed button style.

Special Items TAB >
Favorites: Display as a menu
User documents and User pictures: Don't display this item
CHECK: Show Log Off
UNCHECK: Show Help and Support

General Behavior TAB > UNCHECK: Check for Windows updates on shutdown

Skin TAB > Skin: Windows XP Luna
CHECK: Large Font
CHECK: Show User Picture
CHECK: Show User Name

Windows 8 Settings TAB > Disable active corners > All > OK

Start Button TAB > Custom Button > Button Image has to be a single .bmp or .png image of three different buttons top, middle, and bottom button depicting normal, hot and pressed button style.

If Classic Explorer Bar disappears, go to any folder > View > Click on down arrow under Options > CHECK: Classic Explorer Bar.

Right click on any Classic Explorer Bar icon to enter Settings > All Settings

[Backup drop-down menu allows you to save/restore settings]

To get the included Toolbar.png look, copy folder icons to C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\
Then Restore from the included Explorer Settings.xml file.

This is how it was set up:

SELECT: All settings > Navigation Pane TAB > CHECK: Don't fade buttons
Tree item spacing: 5 or 10 [Expand only folders that are needed on the left.]
Auto-navigate to the selected folder: Always
[Optional] Title Bar > CHECK: Disable breadcrumbs > to revert to old folder address bar display.
Toolbar Settings > CHECK: Big buttons
Large icon size: 32
CHECK: Same size buttons

Toolbar Buttons Tab >
SEPARATOR, Back, SEPARATOR, Forward, SEPARATOR, Up, SEPARATOR, Refresh, SEPARATOR, Copy, SEPARATOR, Paste, SEPARATOR, Cut, SEPARATOR, Delete, SEPARATOR, Undo, SEPARATOR, Custom Command, SEPARATOR, Properties, SEPARATOR, InvertSelection, SEPARATOR, SelectAll, SEPARATOR

Right click on Buttons > Edit Item > to be able to assign custom icons and button name labels.

Right click on empty space next to Folder Buttons to LOCK/UNLOCK the toolbars and be able to move them to the left.

Source of freeware icons was
http://www.glyfx.com/content/page/vista-common-toolbar-set-complete-edition.html
and
http://www.glyfx.com/content/page/xp-common-complete-edition.html

Starting with version 2.9.0, Classic Shell does not use ini files anymore. All settings are stored in the registry and editable through the Settings dialog.

This freeware http://mythicsoft.com/agentransack/Page.aspx?page=download
offered clickable search parameters. It was installed to %SystemDrive%\Program Files\Agent Ransack\AgentRansack.exe and linked with a Custom Command button.

Version 3.6.8 is the last version compatible with Windows Vista

I like the fact that with extended desktop the taskbar scales the whole thing...
Being more open minded this time around... kind of have to be, wouldnt let me install on my 320gb WD Green So I had to wipe the seagate and... yah... backed up all my games to the WD though

Yes, one of the many minor advantages of Windows 8. You will notice many little things about Windows 8 that are nice, nothing you can't do without, but are just nice to have.

I have found more after using it for a few hours, stuff I never bothered to look for before... such as right clicking the "start" button for the stuff I miss about Windows 7 and earlier start menu's.. Like shutdown FFS. Windows didn't do themselves any favors by making these things obscure (Even on Technet/MSoft Support/Windows Support)

The things I don't see myself getting used to are, these nasty pastel colors.. I want glass back! lol

And having to have a password on startup, or any other sort of "security". It's a minor inconvenience, but, it's also one I have ZERO use for. I think I got that sorted though, once again it's obscure, but bing easily found a solution. netplwiz which gets you to the administrative user account dialog. I couldn't find it through any "familiar" means.

You should ask here, there are solutions for things that bother you.
There are cosmetic enhancements, sure, start a thread on that.

If you are asking how to disable passwords on Windows 8 then:

* [Always log into Windows 8 as an Administrator without password requirements:]
Start > Right click anywhere > All Apps > Run > type
control userpasswords2
> OK > Users TAB > UNCHECK: Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer > OK
(A dialog will appear that asks you what user name and password should be used to logon automatically.)
LEAVE PASSWORD BLANK > click on OK
The system should now boot into Desktop automatically without the logon prompt.

Need retail version to install on a different PC. OEM License agreement as far back as I can remember is for 1 PC. I'm looking at my Win7 64 HP right now....

14.3 beta drivers wouldnt send sound through HDMI so I had to clean it up and install 13.12..

Flickering on the bottom of my screen with extended desktop, except when the GPU is under load. Problem wasn't present in Win7 with this card. c if you know a fix for that I'd be happy happy happy. Google isnt doing me any favors.

When installing Catalyst drivers under Windows 8, in case of HDMI Audio Driver Final Status: Fail

Go to Control Panel > Sound > Playback TAB >
Right click on Digital Audio (HDMI) 2 - High Definition Audio Device > Properties > Properties button >

Driver TAB > Update Driver... button > Browse my computer for driver software > Browse >

For the example of an old Catalyst 13.1 driver, after unpacking AMD Catalyst drivers, the location of HDMI driver for Windows 8 was:

C:\AMD\Support\13-1_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql\Packages\Drivers\WDM\HDMI\

> Next >

Windows has successfully updated your driver software AMD High Definition Audio Device

Close > Close > OK

That's just it, it didn't fail. 14.3b installed fine, and showed up in device manager/audio playback devices.. just said it wasn't connected even though I was watching Netflix on the TV... 13.12 works just as good for me.

Need retail version to install on a different PC. OEM License agreement as far back as I can remember is for 1 PC. I'm looking at my Win7 64 HP right now....

When widows 8 came out they only had OEM and it was transferable. now I can see there is a retail version for windows 8.1.

When installing Catalyst drivers under Windows 8, in case of HDMI Audio Driver Final Status: Fail

Go to Control Panel > Sound > Playback TAB >
Right click on Digital Audio (HDMI) 2 - High Definition Audio Device > Properties > Properties button >

Driver TAB > Update Driver... button > Browse my computer for driver software > Browse >

For the example of an old Catalyst 13.1 driver, after unpacking AMD Catalyst drivers, the location of HDMI driver for Windows 8 was:

C:\AMD\Support\13-1_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql\Packages\Drivers\WDM\HDMI\

> Next >

Windows has successfully updated your driver software AMD High Definition Audio Device

Close > Close > OK

Did you code Windows 8??

You know every trick in the book! :bday:

You have a main monitor and another monitor, and all is well on main monitor but you have flickering on the extended monitor?

Does this happen at lower resolutions?
Are cables OK?

No, the flickering is on my main monitor, second is my TV i dunno what it is... 50" 1080P sanyo? I know its 1080.. and its to big for the living room.. I hate it..

But this ONLY happens when I extend the display. I havent checked on the little 15" monitor I use when I play DayZ (My map screen)

The main monitor is hooked up via DVI, TV is HDMI

Just checked it on the little dinky monitor, and the flicker has gone away...

So why does HDMI output affect the monitor hooked up DVI??

Back