• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8: The Times They Are a-Changin'

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I can do that every few seconds IMOG.

edit: It depends on how the benchmark is written and what it uses for its time source. It appears as though as an example .net timers are not affected and therefore NTP wouldn't affect them. I'll continue playing as my curiosity toys with different ideas.

I hate broccoli on mondays because of brown cows on the moon.

What would differentiate the site? The biggest problem hwbot faces to me at least is validation.

It's "blue moon" today. The cows could jump over it?

Hwbot.com is a bench mark site. If we could "code", had the "backing", and the time - O/C Forums BenchMark.com/awktane.

It is just Windows 8 - Windows 7? Needs to be consistent.

As for the benchmark pulling and the clock deal.. Wow very interesting. Looks like they didn't just jump at it at first to say somethings wrong but took time, gathered data and are now saying something. Wonder why MS would do a change like that to the system... seems very odd.

Windows8 – “Support for all devices”

As you know, Microsoft is trying to come up with a unified operating system and user interface for a wide range of devices, including tablets, smartphones, Xbox One, and the desktop PC. Building this unified platform is not easy. It is not just a matter of creating an interface that can be used with a multitude of input devices (finger, mouse, controller), but it also needs to support as many devices as possible. Getting the software to run out of the box on as much hardware as possible is the challenge they are facing.

Of the many aspects to fine-tune, one feature in particular is causing Windows8 to be practically useless for (competitive) overclocking: the RTC. Quoting Wikipedia, “A real-time clock (RTC) is a computer clock (most often in the form of an integrated circuit) that keeps track of the current time. Although the term often refers to the devices in personal computers, servers and embedded systems, RTCs are present in almost any electronic device which needs to keep accurate time.” Sparing you the details of development process, compared to Windows7 and previous versions, Microsoft made changes to how it measures time to be compatible with embedded or low cost PCs that do not have a fixed RTC clock. After all, having a fixed RTC clock adds cost to a platform.

Your PC system uses the RTC for many things. For example, it ensures the Windows Time on your machine is accurate. For most benchmark applications, the RTC is used as reference clock when executing the benchmark code. By synchronizing with the RTC, the benchmark knows exactly how much time has passed, and takes that value into account when calculating the performance of your system.

That pretty much explains why Microsoft changed how the RTC is designed.

tl;dr - to support more devices with less code.

and i thought all this time windows would sometimes adjust its clock with the hardware clock.

or am i wrong? anyway, im gonna read more of this. this is one of the most weirdest problems i have ever seen!
You are correct. It will. But that is just the clock and not the 'time' that benchmarks use. It would still be running at .9 for every 1 second and need to be adjusted again.

I've been using it for 6 months and after a bit of growing pain I like it.! I don't see any real "issues" with it except I can't bench with it anymore!!

Thanks for the link!

Now we wait for something from Hwbot as that method, to me, doesnt seem like one can tell if it was run or not and corrected? Meaning, we could run the bench at the 'off' times, and then correct it before the screenshot.

Yeah that's always bothered me - the ability to bench, change, then snap.

Don't start using it yet for submissions though. Just because Ney found it can be fixed doesn't mean it will be fixed, nor that people will implement the fix as required. There's likely still a long way to go before you'll be able to submit Win8 at the bot.

Don't start using it yet for submissions though. Just because Ney found it can be fixed doesn't mean it will be fixed, nor that people will implement the fix as required. There's likely still a long way to go before you'll be able to submit Win8 at the bot.

I'm still working on my juggling act to get my Win7 back into this set-up. Just nice to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Back