• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows 8 upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Acuradude

ok well a year ago i bought what i thought was a new full retail version of windows 7 ulimate and yesterday microsoft blocked it and said it was a fake so now i have to get a new windows OS i tried 8 when it was the free trail and hated it but there is no way im paying hundreds of $$$ for windows and microsoft is having a sale on windows 8 pro upgrade for $40 and i was wondering that since my windows 7 code is now not active, if i could upgrade (downgrade :cry: ) to windows 8 pro??????

Try the link and it will tell you if you can upgrade as it scans you system etc. If you can upgrade it will tell you, and allow you to pay.

Since your Windows 7 is inactive you probably can't "upgrade". As the upgrade requires an active key as far as I know.

Its strange to me that it took over a year for microsoft to tell you your copy of windows 7 is not genuine.

Did you just try to activate the OS after a making hardware changes?

If so, you can activate your copy of w7 via telephone... its a long and annoying process because its all automated, but as long as you've only installed w7 on that machine... they should allow you to activate the OS.

yes i tried to reactivate it i called microsoft and they said they blocked it because it was part of some special program and that the one year term had run out

I ran into the same issue.
Then again I now know why my buddy gave me this "spare" key of his.
In any case I scanned my system it said I was eligible for an upgrade and
I'm downloading the OS as we speak.

hey guys i was thinking about googles new OS could it be usable all i really do is surf the net and i play games mostly from steam but some are from disk would google OS work for me i really dont know much about google's OS ive tried linux before but its lack of gaming support killed it for me

hey guys i was thinking about googles new OS could it be usable all i really do is surf the net and i play games mostly from steam but some are from disk would google OS work for me i really dont know much about google's OS ive tried linux before but its lack of gaming support killed it for me

Google's Chrome OS is NOT available outside of buying a Chromebook. BUT, Google's Chromium OS can be downloaded. Chromium OS is the open source project, used primarily by developers, with code that is available for anyone to checkout, modify, and build.

im doing this now lets hope it works will save me 50 bucks from getting win 8 home and ill have pro!

also worked for me had an unregistered win7 from an old pc and when i built the new pc didnt have the key, bought the win8 upgrade pro for 40 bucks and boom running windows 8 and i like it so far

Geez, just choose upgrade with Win 8, and delete the existing partition and perform a clean install. It doesn't even look for the OS. So long as you have a legal copy of Win XP or something (I think I have Win 95 lying around somewhere) then its legal.

Either way, you can "upgrade" even if you had Linux installed. I am not encouraging installation if you don't have some legit Windows license to upgrade from, I'm simply saying it can be done. Works for me as I've a legit copy of XP and a legit copy of Win 7, hence I got 2x upgrades. Clean installs are the only way you really want to install Windows anyway. :thup:

Oh, Win 8 definitely feels smoother and faster than Win 7 was, though I'm not sure whether thats simply down to a fresh install. Likewise, system settings are much easier to access in Windows 8 although I still don't particularly like the Tile based interface. File search is significantly faster than under Win 7 also. ;)

yea i did a fresh install, it let me create an install on a usb drive and then i deleted win 7 and loaded windows 8 fresh

The point at which I stopped hating the OS was when I found you can access pretty much everything by right clicking the start button.... Oh, and I pinned a shutdown shortcut to the taskbar ;)

C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 000

Try the link and it will tell you if you can upgrade as it scans you system etc. If you can upgrade it will tell you, and allow you to pay.

Since your Windows 7 is inactive you probably can't "upgrade". As the upgrade requires an active key as far as I know.

No it doesn't, a few months ago I installed a new motherboard and ram and when I booted up my Win 7 wasn't active anymore and wouldn't let me reactivate it even through phone so I upgraded to Win 8 and it worked fine. I did the same thing on another system over a month ago with an inactive Windows XP install so I can install Win 8 upgrade.

No it doesn't, a few months ago I installed a new motherboard and ram and when I booted up my Win 7 wasn't active anymore and wouldn't let me reactivate it even through phone so I upgraded to Win 8 and it worked fine. I did the same thing on another system over a month ago with an inactive Windows XP install so I can install Win 8 upgrade.

What did it say when you tried to reactivate through phone support.

Back