• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows fails to recognize any USB mass storage devices

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Max47

So i have been bashing my head against my desk for several hours now and cant seem to find a solution to this.

Any mass storage device i plug into the USB ports fails to initialize. Device manager recognizes that something is plugged in and even appropriately names some of them according to a generic storage name or brand/size/etc. Under the listing in device manager the " ! " and error code "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" appears. The devices will not show up in "my computer" or in disk management.

Things i have tried already:
Reinstalling chipset drivers
Rolling back chipset drivers
Updating USB 3.0 drivers
Multiple flash drives and usb hard drives (about 15 or so different ones)
Assigning a letter driver to the USB --- does not show up in disk management EVER
uninstalling/reinstalling the associated driver with the plugged in USB device
uninstalling/reinstalling the mass storage driver
uninstalling/reinstalling ALL USB drivers
EVERY freaking USB port on my computer including USB and USB3.0
registry edit of upper and lower filters (wouldn't let me delete them and didn't see any upper and lower values)
Changed every setting in BIOS i thought could be possibly related to USB to every possible variable
Throwing USB drive across room violently

I don't know exactly when this problem came about, I don't use USB flash drives very often. I cant even remember when the last time i used one was, but i was reformatting and reinstalling windows on a laptop of mine and of course windows couldn't find any drivers for either the LAN or wireless. Hope you guys can help me out with this, i know there are a lot of great minds around these forums... So tired of searching google and sifting through the garbage.

Thank You!

edit: using Win7 x64

Last edited:
Back