• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows.old file

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
in the attached snip you will find two files named oldwindows.old files.
I added the leading old to them.
the older one is about 25 gigs and is dated about when I migrated from win 7 to 10, and I know it should be there.
the newer is dated about when win10 upgraded to this version and is about 20 gigs and I know nothing about it.
anybody else see win10 do this?
do any of you have 2 windows.old files?
do I just ignore this?

old.PNG

iirc, they should be available for deletion (or deleted by default) via disk cleanup once the 30 (now 10) -day 'testing' period is over.

Perhaps your renaming has blocked their deletion, so perhaps they could still be used to rollback.

I renamed them to prevent deletion.
why would it make another for a version upgrade?

In case the upgrade/update didn't go to plan, giving you the now 10 day grace period where you could rollback to the previous version. That's my guess.

The latest one will be automatically deleted if you have this option enabled. Renaming it will help but at the same time will cause issues with deleting this folder later.
Older windows.old won't be deleted but is still locked. Depends on many things you may not be able to delete it in Windows as files are locked. I don't know why but sometimes it's possible to delete it via disk cleaning option and sometimes it's not possible at all. After last system recovery I couldn't unlock this folder or delete in any way in windows. It's just stupid when you have full admin rights but still can't do anything with some folders.

Note to new users, you cannot just right click delete Windows.old folders.

[If you upgraded] To free up a considerable amount of disk space, including removing Windows.old folder: Search > clean > Disk Cleanup > Select the system drive > OK > Wait, then click on Clean up system files button > Select the system drive > OK > CHECK: Previous Windows installation(s) and scroll down and CHECK: Temporary Windows installation files, also see other files to delete here > OK > Delete Files > Yes.

You can also delete them with Command Prompt and DOS syntax outside of Windows using the repair option and a bootable Windows installer.

Back