• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows stopped using the GPU - works under other OS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thanosam

My daily driver is a hackintosh and I boot to Windows occasionally to Steam.

Today at the log in screen at W10 the HDMI signal dropped and that was it. I rebooted and connected the HDMI to the igpu and it works. I immediately tried the hackintosh and the GPU works, at bios as well (and it is selected as the display output).

Under W10 I ddu the drivers and installed them again. Nothing. Device Manager says that everything is fine, the GPU is detected. I checked for W10 updates, did them as well and again nothing.

Worst case scenario I do a clean install of W10.

Any ideas??

RX580 8GB Sapphire
4670k - Z87x

Ps. GPU is not OCed

Yes, I did do an sfc yesterday, forgot to mention, didn't work.

Thank you for your reply.

Today I tried to reinstall windows, without deleting the files. While I was able to boot to the recovery and initiate the reinstall, when the display drivers loaded (still in the installation) it stopped using the gpu and changed to the igpu.

I have a feeling that neither the clean install will work. This is very bizarre. The card has dual bios and I tried both, also tried both the HDMI outputs.

I don't see any problems on my hackintosh, I even stitched videos and steamed. The gpu is perfectly fine.

Update:

I found the perpetrator.

First, I tried to use a dp to hdmi adapter when I had no signal from the GPU. It worked but at 1080p only, I have 1440p.

I decided to proceed with a clean install. Did it. Got into Windows, default drivers load and native res from GPU was working over hdmi.

I install AMD drivers and immediately got no signal.

Uninstalled with ddu and got signal again.

Drivers I tried with no success:

Drivers 20.1.1 jan9 - no signal
Drivers 19.12.12 dec12 same

So, this might be the wrong category? Better to move it to GPU/AMD?

ddu? Dual Display Utility? So are you saying the native Windows drivers worked but the latest AMD drivers didn't work?

So use the Windows built-in driver for the time being and hope that either AMD or Intel catch and fix the bugs in the latest AMD driver. Inte's WHQL drivers are some months behind the GPU manufacturers' latest offerings.

Back