• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Won't Boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Speedracer 64

I came home today to my computer messed up. It had become unplugged. When I plugged it back up it comes up to the windows resume loader screen. It gives two options. Continue with system resume or delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu. I tried the continue with system resume and it didn't do anything. It just acted like there was no power to the computer. Any ideas on what I should do next. I have some schoolwork saved on there that I need to get to.

I'm sorry to hear that!

Could you please give more details in regards to the "continue with system resume" option? When you press it, does windows hang (resulting in a black screen), or does the computer shutdown (also resulting in a black screen), or...

It doesn't power off. It will say resuming windows and look just like it normally does. Then it goes to a black screen.

I should have asked this first: This is a laptop, correct?

When it hits the black screen, do all the indicator lights on the chassis turn off and can you hear the hard drive stop, or does the everything continue except for the boot-up?

I've gotta walk the dog, I'll be back in fifteen minutes or so.

I'm glad I asked :)

Was your work all saved to the hard drive, or did you have documents open that you were editing at the time of failure?

If everything was saved, I would hit the "delete restoration data" option, and try a fresh boot.

It should boot properly. If something does go wrong, however, you can easily remove the hard drive, and put in into another computer, thus rescuing your data.

Back