• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP, format and reinstall

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys.

I have an issue with an XP machine, and i cant work out how i should fix it.

The machine was originally installed with an illegal copy of windows, and then a key was bought for the machine.

Before i formatted the machine, i used a tool from cnet.com to get the key out.

No i want to reinstall the system. The first XP cd (pirate copy) didn't want to boot, the second one (also pirate copy) did boot, but during install it was causing a lot of errors (files it was unable to copy from cd to hd)

Then i found a distributor cd, this worked fine, apart from the fact it didn't accept the Serial key, non of the 3 legal ones i have.

Any clues on how i can get around this? It has to be a Windows XP Pro in Danish on this machine, and since i have a legal, that the company paid for, it should work?

I spoke to MS support, which got me exactly nowhere, if that would surprise anyone.

My Key as i already knew, is legal. I need to a Windows XP Pro SP3 Danish cd.
MS cant send me one, and they cant give me an ISO. Now i need to find one, somewhere, and the company that delivered the pc back in the days, has closed by now.

Hunt down for a non-modified OEM copy of XP Pro somewhere.

That copy errors on the other CDs might be attributed to faulty hardware, so I would check to make sure the hardware passes diagnostic tests.

Back