• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windsor vs brisbane

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

strikertom

Registered
hi im hinking of buying an am2 3600brisbane core, will i see any difference over my am2 3800 windsor core.
in overclocking capability.
will their be any difference or should i not bother.

Brisbanes are told to overclock to at least 2,8 GHZ, but maybe with some tweaking to your own settings you will achieve that with the windsor as well...

Also I don't really know if the difference is worth a new Processor..

If you plan to upgrade from your current Processor, then I would not recommend it, if you want to get an additional system, I think the 3600+ is the best bang for the buck..

Welcome!

My opinion is that if you are upgrading your current system, it will be an improvement, however not as significant as other things you could do; for example, another gig of ram.

As Rinne said, most Brisbane's will go to 2.8 or beyond, but that's the only significant difference you will see. Unless you have a buyer lined up for your 3800+, I suggest getting more ram.

Yea the Brisbane should be good for 2.8+ easily,, the question is whether a couple hundred mhz is worth the cost of buying a new CPU. Now if you could sell the 3800+ for about as much as the Brisbane costs it might be worthwhile. Really though, you won't notice an actual performance difference.

i am getting new ram im going for 2 gigs of corsair xms2 6400.
i ws thinking of the overclockabiliy of the 3600 because i have hit a wall so far with my 3800 at 2.7 on air.
might just wait til amd brings out faster cpu's.

:welcome: That's a good recommendation. You may actually get more out of the CPU with new ram, it's one of those things. Even if 2G drops your top CPU speed a little (which I DON't think will happen) the extra RAM will be a huge boost anyway.

Back